Small caps for LORD

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

lahuizenga
Got the auto-title mojo working

Small caps for LORD

Post by lahuizenga »

So I'm writing a book, using palatino, and I've figured out finally how to small cap LORD. I have to write it out as lord and then format it using the character open type options in the character palette. But it looks really odd, like it's too small. Any ideas on (1) how to do a sort of find-replace substitution globally, and (2) how to make the small caps LORD not so small?
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Small caps for LORD

Post by jannuss »

lahuizenga wrote:So I'm writing a book, using palatino, and I've figured out finally how to small cap LORD. I have to write it out as lord and then format it using the character open type options in the character palette. But it looks really odd, like it's too small. Any ideas on (1) how to do a sort of find-replace substitution globally, and (2) how to make the small caps LORD not so small?
lahuizenga, I sometimes have a similar problem when mixing languages in the same sentence. In my case, Hebrew and English. I often find that the size of the characters in one language don't quite seem correct next to the characters of the other language. A little manipulation is called for.

I agree that the word LORD in Palatino small caps looks out of place with the rest of the text -- not because it is too small, but because it is to light.
I suggest you try one of two solutions, but of which look OK to my eye
-- use small caps for the word LORD, but change the face to bold
-- use all caps for the word LORD, but change the size to 2 points smaller than the rest of the text.

Hope this helps

Janet
lahuizenga

Post by lahuizenga »

Thanks much. I have to export the document to Word for the publisher; maybe it'd make more sense to do the smallcaps formatting in Word, esp if I can't be confident Mellel would transfer it over properly.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

lahuizenga wrote:Thanks much. I have to export the document to Word for the publisher; maybe it'd make more sense to do the smallcaps formatting in Word, esp if I can't be confident Mellel would transfer it over properly.
Is there some reason that you are forced to use small caps?

If not, then I would go with all caps at a smaller size then the surrounding text.
This looks almost identical and will save you the hassle of having to rework the WORD document.

Janet
lahuizenga

Post by lahuizenga »

It's customary to print LORD in small caps in English translations of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible when in the Hebrew there's the Divine Name of YHWH, which Jews would never pronounce as it's the sacred Name of God, so they'd pronounce "Adonai," Lord, instead. Hence LORD in English.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

lahuizenga wrote:It's customary to print LORD in small caps in English translations of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible when in the Hebrew there's the Divine Name of YHWH, which Jews would never pronounce as it's the sacred Name of God, so they'd pronounce "Adonai," Lord, instead. Hence LORD in English.
Yes, this I understand
but
The reader will not be able to see the difference between
-- small caps [which you have to manipulate by making the facet bold] and
-- all caps [which you have to manipulate by making the size smaller]

So, since you are concerned about getting the correct result when you convert a document with small caps into a WORD file, I suggest you use all caps instead which should convert without difficulty.
lahuizenga

Post by lahuizenga »

I'll probably do that. Thanks.
shades

Post by shades »

Are you required to have Palatino? I have found that some of the font sets don't have complete set of glyphs.

I have found Libertine much better and larger set of glyphs: http://www.linuxlibertine.org/index.php?id=1&L=1

Regarding small caps and all caps, once you get to the printing stage, there are differences in how the letters are shaped and scaled.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )