Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

legaltalks
Got the styles thing figured out

footnote format request and another

Post by legaltalks »

Hello.
My needs for footnotes is like this

This is a main text : What I want is is this 1) <= 1) will be superscripted in the real text.

------------------------

1) This is a footnote.

As you can see, half bracket style reference and footnote format is what I want.
Otherwise, customising option would be a good substitute for it to my mind.

My another request is for Randnummer, which is widely used in German legal literature.
That is different from paragraph numbers.

Good Luck.
rwg
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: footnote format request and another

Post by rwg »

I remember asking for the same footnote option some years ago, but unfortunately it still hasn't eventuated. I add the parenthesis manually, but it would certainly be nice not to have to do so.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

My another request is for Randnummer, which is widely used in German legal literature.
That is different from paragraph numbers.
Do these numbers always have to be on the right margin, like here on the picture?
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randnummer

Are you trying to achieve something like this?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p0nhgxj3j ... f.zip/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/94s34k3mf ... f.zip/file
legaltalks

Post by legaltalks »

Randnummer is this.
I attached a JPG file url. In that photo, you can see number 9 to 14 at the right side of a page.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V6oNRW ... sp=sharing
As you can see, those numbers are outside the frame of main text and not in line with paragraphs. That is, Randnummer 11 has 2 paragraphs.
I haven't found any wordprocessor which can do this so far. However, I think there must be something I try to find somewhere in Germany.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

I haven't found any wordprocessor which can do this so far.
Take a look at this. Isn't this exactly what you want to do? It wasn't difficult to do it.
<http://www.mediafire.com/file/7d2ad22ac ... f.zip/file>
legaltalks

Post by legaltalks »

Yes, that is precisely what I really want to do. How can you do that?
What did I miss in Mellel?
I found line numbering, which I think can be the way to express Randnummer. Until now I have thought there was more direct way to put Randnummer anywhere, not related to paragraphs .
Anyway Thanks a lot. I haven't realised the function of line numbering before you show a pdf document.

By the way how can I put line numbers altenately in each page? Alternate before & after in attribute panel changes nothing.
ps) I found again that "alternate before & after" only applies on a column basis, not on a page bais. This leaves much more to be desired.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

How can you do that?
I did it with Text Boxes in Nisus Writer Pro. The numbers are updated automatically, and you can bookmark and cross-reference the numbers.
In MS Word one can use frames ( "Positionsrahmen" in German), but it requires some preparatory work.

The sad thing is, you can't do this easily in Mellel. You might be able to use floating Text Boxes, but that's very cumbersome. The reason is:

1) An Auto-title (a Tag Flow, consisting of an incremental number) does not work in Mellel's Text Boxes. This is a huge limitation and needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
2) Cross referencing contents of floating Text Boxes is also not possible in Mellel. This too is a huge drawback and needs to be fixed.
3) Copying and pasting a floating Text Box ALWAYS ends up as an *inline* Text Box. This means, you will have to change the Text Box from inline to floating each and every time you paste a text box, and then drag the box to the right place. This needs to be fixed too.
4) Since you can't enter an incremental number into a Text Box, i.e. as a Tag Flow, you need to write the number manually each time you add a new Randnummer and they are not automatically updated if one of them is delete, for example.

In Nisus Writer Pro you can do this very easily. Here's how:
a. Insert a Text Box on the right margin. Make sure it 'moves with paragraph'
b. Insert a list style containing an incremental number. This is basically similar to inserting a Tag Flow (Auto-title) in Mellel, with the difference that in Mellel this is not (yet) possible. : -(
c. Format the number in the Text Box the way you like it to be (bold, size 12, or whatever)
d. Now all you have to do is to select the Text Box, press and hold down the Option key while you drag the Text Box down to the location where the next Randnummer should be. This will duplicate the Text Box, and the number will be automatically updated. Repeat option-dragging until you're finished.

In Nisus you can bookmark and cross-reference a Randnummer. In Mellel, the content of a Text Box can neither be bookmarked nor cross-referenced!

If you need a step-by-step instruction for how to do this in MS Word, then let me know.
By the way how can I put line numbers altenately in each page? Alternate before & after in attribute panel changes nothing.
ps) I found again that "alternate before & after" only applies on a column basis, not on a page bais. This leaves much more to be desired.
I agree. This is indeed confusing, especially because this is not mentioned in the User Guide. On page 344 in the User Manual for Mellel 4.1, Version 1.0, there is this Figure 8-164, which wrongly suggests that "Alternate before & after" also applies for 1 column.

Anyway, the only solution I can think of at the moment is to use 'Before', then insert "Section style break" from the Insert menu at the end of the page and then use "After" for the next page. Perhaps create two section styles, one with line numbers in the left margin and another with line numbers in the right margin.

Does anyone have a better idea?