Shortcut to expand or collapse outline

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

sourdoughpablo
Got the styles thing figured out

Shortcut to expand or collapse outline

Post by sourdoughpablo »

I love the Mellel outline feature. But as far as I can see, the only way to expand or collapse the outline is to click on the little triangle to the left of the outline element. This triangle is quite small, and I have to position the mouse exactly, precisely on top of it in order to click it. This positioning action takes a little bit of time and attention, and requires the very precise mouse action that can lead to repetitive strain. It is a significant speed bump when using a big outline.

I wish I could just double click on the outline element to expand or collapse its child elements. But this opens the properties pane for the outline element, also a convenient function.

Could some other key combination be assigned this task? Maybe the combination <cntrl><option><click>, which currently is redundant with <cntrl><click>? Or maybe an assignable <letter><click> option of my choice? (Currently, all letters seem to just play an error tone when I'm in the outline with a selection made).
sourdoughpablo

Re: Shortcut to expand or collapse outline

Post by sourdoughpablo »

Maybe just click or double click anywhere to the left of the little triangle to expand or collapse the child layers? This would be a much bigger target for the mouse than that little triangle is. Clicking ON the outline title text could still open the properties pane. This would be a more intuitive solution . . .
sourdoughpablo

Post by sourdoughpablo »

Similarly, it would be great if I could close the properties pane of an outline element (once it was opened) simply by clicking on another outline element, rather than by taking the mouse all the way down to the bottom of the pane and centering it right on top of the teeny tiny little x that closes the pane.
sourdoughpablo

Post by sourdoughpablo »

The properties pane closes like this when I open it within the document. I just click somewhere else on the document and it disappears. But when I open it in the outline window, I have to click on that little x at the bottom of the pane, another exercise in hand-eye coordination.