Cross references and paragraph styles

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joseph_anton
Knows everything, can prove it

Cross references and paragraph styles

Post by joseph_anton »

I wonder if there is a way to specify that a cross reference should take on the paragraph style of the text around it, rather than that of the bookmark? I noticed that when I insert a reference to a chapter, the reference appears in the large font I am using for chapters with auto-titles and there is seemingly no way to override this by applying the paragraph style I want.
DavidH

Re: Cross references and paragraph styles

Post by DavidH »

Insert Reference on the Reference Palette, Cross Reference on the Insert Menu, or double clicking on an existing Reference will bring up the Edit Reference Window. When that window is open and you click into the field at the bottom displaying the layout of your reference, a new option appears on the Styles side of the Character Palette, above all the regular styles, called <use surroundings>. You can select any or all of the elements in this box and then apply this special “no style” character style to whatever elements you like, including all of them. This can be done one reference at a time, but it’s much handier to make your changes in one case and then use Save Format on the Reference Formats popup to create a new reference format that has the “use surroundings” option built in. You’ll be prompted to give it a name and it will be added to your choices in the popup.
joseph_anton

Re: Cross references and paragraph styles

Post by joseph_anton »

Thank you DavidH! This is exactly the solution I was looking for.