[Discussion] Cross referencing

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

The newsletter only said, that the “neat new features” will be revealed in “about” a week which doesn’t necessarily mean that 2.2.7 will be released then.
But don’t take my post too serious, sometimes I like to nag around for no particular reason. I prefer a stable and working solution much over a clumsy one. If the Redlers need that time, they need it (even if the update frequency correlates with the level of my smile) :D
keidan
New to all this

Re: [Discussion] Cross referencing

Post by keidan »

3) You choose what aspect of the thing you refer to (e.g., a footnote's number, a heading's text, a bookmark's page number) you wish to refer to.
Hi to all,
I apologize if what I am going to suggest has been already discussed here. I think that it would be useful to refer not only to a certain page of a document, but also to a (dynamic) part of it, such as "first line on the top", "last line of the first paragraph", "second word of the third line on the page", and similar: it helps the reader a lot.
In general, I often dream about a more object oriented word processing architecture which could take into account dynamic objects like those. For example, I would like to define a specific style for, say, the first two lines of a paragraph. Something analogous is present in the latest versions of InDesign.
Thanks,
Artemio Keidan
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Re: [Discussion] Cross referencing

Post by Fire Angel »

What about a quoted Cross Reference? e.g. "See Page 32 Dangers of overheating...

This allows you to quote the first part of the text you are referring to, and updates it if you edit that text. Sometimes it's the clearest way of ensuring that the reader finds the passage being referenced as quickly as they can.
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.