Colour of outline panel

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Should it be possible to colour the outline panel?

Yes, I would definitely like (and use) such an option
28%
To be honest, I don't care
72%

Total votes: 32

Timotheus
Knows everything, can prove it

Colour of outline panel

Post by Timotheus »

One of the many things I really like in Mellel is the possibility to choose your own background colour on the screen. I always work with a soft green background, which is very relaxing for the (or at least for my) eyes.

BUT: it is still not possible to colour the outline panel, which many of us will use very frequently. Would a separate option to give colour to the outline panel be a good idea, or not?
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

I've never changed the background color, but is there a reason why the outline panel shouldn't just match the background color of the main window? Or do you want a separate setting for the outline area's color?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

For me it would be fine if the outline panel simply matched the background colour of the main window. But I'm not at all against a separate setting; in that case one could choose any desired colour.

For those who work only rarely or intermittently with the outline panel, its colour will not be a big issue. But I'm working all day with very long documents with a very complex outline, so I see it pratically every minute. And when you see this panel every minute, at a certain moment you start asking yourself why this panel couldn't have the colour of your choice, just like the main window. Anyway, I would welcome it.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

joewiz wrote:I've never changed the background color, but is there a reason why the outline panel shouldn't just match the background color of the main window? Or do you want a separate setting for the outline area's color?
The color of the outline panel doesn’t hurt me but I think it would make sense to either color the background the same as the paper or to offer a separate setting for this.

I would prefer completely revised color settings which could be set on a per user basis and not on a per document basis.
So you would have a new tab in the preferences where you could select:

• the paper background for normal view
• the outline background
• the fullscreen background
• the fullscreen font color
• (or an option to use normal colors for fullscreen view)

With this system, you could set the colors you like. With the current system, you set the color on a per document basis and if you send this document to someone else, he have to use or change the colors via the Document Setup (which is titles “Page Margins…” in German - who would look inside the page margins window to change the color?). If you send back the file with your colors, the receiver has to change the colors back again.
I could see no reason why the user specific background color for screen viewing purposes is tied to the document.