[Feature Request] LaTeX Export?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

signinstranger
Knows everything, can prove it

[Feature Request] LaTeX Export?

Post by signinstranger »

I know, this is probably not one of the most pressing problems, but I think it would add great value to Mellel. I'm not asking for a full-fletched Mellel-to-LaTeX export filter here, only for a very simple (Philipp-Glass-minimalistic) interface that ships out unicode text and preserves only the most basic markup:

- sections (\chapter, \section...)
- bold/italic (\textbf, \textit)
- footnotes (\footnote)

and in future versions of Mellel:

- crossreferences (\label + \ref)
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

That should be extremely easy to do in xslt. Are you sure that the markup you mentioned is enough though? What about headings — that's useful semantic information I assume you don't want to lose. Similarly, what do you do when you hit tables and lists?

Then again, maybe I'm missing your point, since I'm not at all familiar with LaTeX markup…
simifilm

Post by simifilm »

A LaTeX export module would indeed be very cool and probably not too difficult to make. I agree with Stephen Still that more markup is doable. Headings would definitely be useful. I guess it would mean that you'd have to use pre-defined styles titles (-> convert paragraph style "Header1" to "\chapter"), but this is no problem. The point is of course that you would basically export the structure of the document and not the actual formatting (which is sufficient).

Maybe we could discuss here what could be converted. Definitely doable IMO:

- Part, chapter and section headings.
- Foonotes
- Refs (once they're here).

simon
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

Anything beyond the most basic things is obviously welcome, but I'm afraid that this might be too difficult (and as a result stop the good people at Redlers to add such a feature). lists and tables should be easy though.

It's also very important that the exported file is a very clean and tidy text file (just as Mellel's current plain text export), so that it stays editable. LaTeX documents usually require some manual interaction at the last stages (hyphenation, linebreaks, placement of figures, etc.), so a clean file is imperative. I don't know if xslt is good at such things. I've seen valid html files generated by xslt which were no longer human readable.
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

I support this request, enthusiastically. I prefer a simplistic approach than a very faithful translation, as the original author implied.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Those who support this feature should create a poll for it - as requested in the sticky for this sub-forum.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

joewiz wrote:Those who support this feature should create a poll for it - as requested in the sticky for this sub-forum.
Indeed.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

joewiz wrote:Those who support this feature should create a poll for it - as requested in the sticky for this sub-forum.
Indeed.
Ori Redler from RedleX