Feature request: Export system

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Would you like an export system that the users could write plugins for?

No, I do not need more export formats.
8%
No, I’m happy running XSLT processor by hand.
No votes
Yes.
82%
Huh?
10%

Total votes: 51

zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Feature request: Export system

Post by zoul »

Hello!

Now that we have the nice XML file format people started requesting various export filters. It would be nice to have an official export system in Mellel, so that I could write an XSL style, put it in a bundle with some descriptory text and images, save it in some Mellel support folder and have it appear in Mellel in the export menu. This way even inexperienced users could start taking advantage of the XML file format; applying XSL transformations is not very convenient right now.

First version of the export system could simply read all XSL styles from ~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Export, create menu items in the File/Export menu, ask the user where to put the exported file and then run the XSLT processor.
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

I agree.

I think the first cut could be a little more fully featured with minimal extra effort if it were to run a export script (which could then call the xslt/whatever) rather than the xslt directly — that way you could run pre- and post-processing scripts without any further complication on the part of the Mellel application.

Obviously there would need to be a defined way to feed the script the file to export (or equivalent, perhaps by dumping the xml into a predetermined place in /tmp) and the place in which it was meant to be saved.
zoul

Post by zoul »

Stephen Still wrote:I think the first cut could be a little more fully featured with minimal extra effort if it were to run a export script (which could then call the xslt/whatever) rather than the xslt directly — that way you could run pre- and post-processing scripts without any further complication on the part of the Mellel application.
Right; maybe the script could be called with the input file and the output file as parameters? This way it could also easily extract the images stored in the source document [needed for serious HTML export]. On the other hand shell scripting is a bit fragile and more than a bit unsafe. I would certainly be nervous if I knew that every export runs a shell script from a third person… I’ll try to think of a safer and more robust solution [but doubt there is any] and in the meantime I’d love to hear what do developers think of this.
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

Right; maybe the script could be called with the input file and the output file as parameters? This way it could also easily extract the images stored in the source document [needed for serious HTML export].
That was one scenario I envisaged. Post-processing is also probably needed to emulate Mellel's "secondary font" feature.
On the other hand shell scripting is a bit fragile and more than a bit unsafe. I would certainly be nervous if I knew that every export runs a shell script from a third person…
Define unsafe. Every time you run anything written by a third party for the first time, including Mellel, you're putting yourself at risk to some extent. If it really worries you, a system for peer review of plugins (so that obviously malicious, unstable, or just bad plugins can be caned) is probably the answer.
I’ll try to think of a safer and more robust solution [but doubt there is any] and in the meantime I’d love to hear what do developers think of this.
I don't think there is any, and to be honest, I'm not convinced that the dangers you contemplate are quite as bad as you seem to think. Mac OS X is standard enough a platform that shell scripts shouldn't be all that fragile (or fragile at all, if well coded), and trust issues are… well, pervasive, and no more of a problem in this regard than any other.
zoul

Post by zoul »

Stephen Still wrote:Mac OS X is standard enough a platform that shell scripts shouldn't be all that fragile (or fragile at all, if well coded), and trust issues are… well, pervasive, and no more of a problem in this regard than any other.
“Well coded”, that is the point. (I think that majority of the plugins is going to be written by users.) Consider the following trivial export plugin:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

OUTPUT_FILE=$1

echo "Hello, world!" > $OUTPUT_FILE
It contains a bug, although it looks perfectly sane to many people. (Whenever the user chooses to save the output document to a directory with a space in its name, the script breaks.) And it is a bit hard for the script to communicate with Mellel, for example send back some error messages if something goes wrong. I’m not saying it is not possible, but IMHO it is much more fragile than using the XML library directly.

This is just to illustrate my previous point, I am not saying we cannot use shell scripts for the export – on the contrary, scripting is a must if the export system is to be truly usable. It’s just we have to be careful about it if we go that way :)
zoul

Post by zoul »

Just an update: The export system could also give access to other file formats Mellel can save, so that I could write an export script to save (for example) into Mellel and PDF at once. This would solve the issue with people wanting a save+export feature.
danzac

Post by danzac »

zoul wrote:Just an update: The export system could also give access to other file formats Mellel can save, so that I could write an export script to save (for example) into Mellel and PDF at once. This would solve the issue with people wanting a save+export feature.
You sold me! :wink:
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

*bump*, because a new version of Mellel has been released, and the Redlers are making the right noises about documenting the file format properly, which should encourage people to write importers and exporters.

Come on everyone - you know you want this!
Stephen Still

Re: Feature request: Export system

Post by Stephen Still »

zoul wrote:First version of the export system could simply read all XSL styles from ~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Export, create menu items in the File/Export menu, ask the user where to put the exported file and then run the XSLT processor.
On another note, it really would need _at least_ post-processing support if it were to handle formats like Open Document and Office Open XML, because both are packaged multi-file formats.
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

Thanks for bringing this up again. We really need XSLT transformation to be natively supported in Mellel. And thanks for your great Mellel2Html template!