request for improvement: superscripted text and Bookends

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Do you want super-/subscripts be ignored by style-attachements?

Yes, I would like this behaviour.
76%
No, I don't want this implemented.
No votes
Doesn't bother me at all
24%

Total votes: 17

Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

request for improvement: superscripted text and Bookends

Post by Reiner »

When you have set a bibliography format in Bookends using super- or subscripted text you have the choice to make your bibliography preserving the super-/subscripts and not using Mellel's styles or to use the styles but loose super-/subscripts. This is logical the way the styles work, but nasty anyway.

Therefor I would like to suggest that Mellel will treat super- and subscripts as a kind of second-layer-style-variation: The existing style variations are brilliant as the whole style system if you are used to it, but to set superscript as variation doesn't make any sense to me while I'm using a for regular, b for italic, c for bold, d for bold italic, e-h for the same in the alternative font. superscripts I would want to use for all of them but never (or really seldom) as single own variation.

This is why I think best would be if the attaching of style would not change the text-position which is kind of another layer. This as a matter of fact can cause other problems, therefor additional a "brutal" way of style-attaching should be implemented which works like it is now.

hope you understnad what I mean.
Reiner
Bill
Read the guide!

Post by Bill »

Great suggestion!

The benefits of this feature will extend beyond improved bibliography import flexibility. Whenever a character style is changed for a block of text that includes superscripts or subscripts, those items will be lost if they have not been set up as style variations. There is not room within the current limit of 8 style variations to add superscripts, subscripts, and their own related variations.
Bill