Setting styles from keyboard by alphabetic shortcut

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Would you like alphabetic (and meaningful) shortcuts for styles?

Oooh! I love it!
27%
Nice idea, but don't break your back doing it.
40%
Don't care one way or the other ...
20%
Nah! I love numeric codes ...
13%

Total votes: 15

mikejt
Got the styles thing figured out

Setting styles from keyboard by alphabetic shortcut

Post by mikejt »

Another one of the (few) nice things about Word's UI is the ability to set the style of something using user-assignable shortcuts. It works like this:
  1. select anything in a paragraph
  2. use shortcut for "set para style" (in word, this is cmd-shift-s)
  3. type full style name or shortcut
  4. hit the return key
"shortcut"? ... well, Word allows style names to have the format "name1,name2,name3..." where the "namen" things are synonyms. Typically "name1" is the full name, and "name2" is the shortcut. So, for instance, in the usual Word workflow (such as it is), the base paragraph style is "normal,n", and you can set the style of the current paragraph to "normal" by typing shift-cmd-s,n,return ...

There are a number of shortcuts that are "standard", such as "h1" for header level 1 (including the "autonumber"), "h2" for header level 2, etc.

Sure was nice ... didn't have to remember non-intuitive numeric codes ... easy to set document standards
zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by zoul »

Paragraph style shortcuts do not help me much, because I insert most of the “non-standard” paragraphs with autotitles – I’d love to have keyboard shortcuts for autotitles. And I am not sure if I like the multiple-key shortcuts (like cmd-something and then something else), is there a way to make them easily visible and usable in the standard GUI? I do not know any Mac application that uses them, so it might be a better idea to stick with the standard one-combination shortcuts. Cmd-F keys would work perfectly for me and I think they are not so hard to remember. (It would be best if we could set our own shortcuts for styles and autotitles.)
transalpin
Read the guide!

Post by transalpin »

zoul wrote:I am not sure if I like the multiple-key shortcuts (like cmd-something and then something else) ...
Cmd-F keys would work perfectly for me
On notebooks this is a multiple-key shortcut (Cmd+fn+F1).
It would be best if we could set our own shortcuts for styles and autotitles.
Exactly.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I would prefer if the shortcuts would be totally user-definable.
Reiner
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

transalpin wrote: On notebooks this is a multiple-key shortcut (Cmd+fn+F1).
You could set OS X to behave differently. Open System Preferences, select Keyboard & Mouse, then selecth the first tab “Keyboard” and check the first option (use F keys to control software features). Now the F-keys work the same as on a normal keyboard and you have to press fn to reach the OS X option (volume, brightness…)
zoul wrote:It would be best if we could set our own shortcuts for styles and autotitles.
transalpin wrote:Exactly.
True.
zoul

Post by zoul »

I have created the poll for customizable keyboard shortcuts, so that we can vote there.