U.S. English spelling?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

U.S. English spelling option—is it needed?

No! Those yanks should revise their buggered colonial orthography.
40%
...but they probably won't, stubborn as they are, so yes, I need it.
40%
English, shmenglish... je m'en fiche de tout ça.
20%

Total votes: 10

hlb
Got the styles thing figured out

U.S. English spelling?

Post by hlb »

Much as I am a fervent Brit-o-phile, alas I live in the U.S., and must thus abide by their we-just-wanna-be-naughty spelling rules. Mellel doesn't seem to have an option to select U.S. English for its spell checker. Short of teaching it all the U.S. variants as they come up red, what can be done?
transalpin
Read the guide!

Post by transalpin »

Firstly, the spell checker is not part of Mellel, it comes with the OS and works system-wide.
Moreover, I don’t know which U.S. variants you tend to use, but I spell-checked your post, and it didn’t even colour “wanna be” as a mistake, because MacOS X “English” is U.S. English.
If you are still not satisfied with the standard behaviour I can recommend this plugin, which supports at least three different orthographies of U.S. English as well as many other languages. Works perfectly also for Hebrew and Yiddish!
hlb

Post by hlb »

Right, and the Apple dictionary invariably contains both the U.S. and the English spelling... what bothers me is that Mellel, also invariably, highlights the U.S. variations as spelling mistakes. If you dig through the edit menu (Edit > Spelling > Spelling), the little window that comes up offers British and Australian English and several other languages as a setting for Mellel's spell check... is this what you mean? I don't think that's part of the OS.
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

hlb wrote:Right, and the Apple dictionary invariably contains both the U.S. and the English spelling... what bothers me is that Mellel, also invariably, highlights the U.S. variations as spelling mistakes. If you dig through the edit menu (Edit > Spelling > Spelling), the little window that comes up offers British and Australian English and several other languages as a setting for Mellel's spell check... is this what you mean? I don't think that's part of the OS.
AFAIK, that's part of the OS. (I could be wrong though, but that would be a total new experience for me… :lol: )

A quick look at the Mellel Guide (page 97) tells me this:
Mellel offers you the option to check the spelling in your document using the spell checker built into Mac OS X, third party spelling services (like CocoASpell) and third party spell checker. Mellel also work with a variety of third party free, shareware and commercial thesauri.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
hlb

Post by hlb »

transalpin wrote: If you are still not satisfied with the standard behaviour I can recommend this plugin, which supports at least three different orthographies of U.S. English as well as many other languages. Works perfectly also for Hebrew and Yiddish!
Hey, I like that plugin—thanks for the tip. Very handy. And yes, after installing it, I can see how the behavior I referred to is in fact determined at OS-level. You live and learn!
jzents
Read the guide, knows everything

Re: U.S. English spelling?

Post by jzents »

hlb wrote:Much as I am a fervent Brit-o-phile, alas I live in the U.S., and must thus abide by their we-just-wanna-be-naughty spelling rules. Mellel doesn't seem to have an option to select U.S. English for its spell checker. Short of teaching it all the U.S. variants as they come up red, what can be done?
I have not had the problem you mention. I just checked and Mellel does not mark 'behavior' or 'color' or such as incorrectly spelled. What is your system language set to?
hlb

Re: U.S. English spelling?

Post by hlb »

jzents wrote:I have not had the problem you mention. I just checked and Mellel does not mark 'behavior' or 'color' or such as incorrectly spelled. What is your system language set to?
U.S. English...