request - zoom to fit palettes

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

FA1
Knows everything, can prove it

request - zoom to fit palettes

Post by FA1 »

If the palettes are open, then hitting zoom should have your document fill the screen until the right border is next to the palettes. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't do this now.

Edit: I'm on a 12" PB, so maybe that behavior is not appropriate in general, but perhaps there is a solution.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The function of the Zoom button in OS X is to toggle between the application's (and therefore developer's) preferred size and your last manually adjusted window size. The application preferred size is usually meant to be as wide as necessary to display all of the content, and maximize vertically (in applications such as word processors, browsers etc.); and the user size is the last size you adjusted the window to.

Several applications use Shift + Zoom to fully maximize horizontally and vertically, but Mellel does not follow this behavior. (This behavior is not Apple prescribed, but rather common practice.)

You aren't doing anything wrong, you're just expecting behavior that isn't there. While I can understand your request, the current implementation is proper; that is why the fullscreen option was added in the newest version. (At least I feel that the current implementation is the proper method.)
— Robert Cameron
FA1

Post by FA1 »

Yeah, I figured it was based on OS X standards. I never really understood zoom behavior though, it doesn't seem consistent at times.

[/i]
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

FA1 wrote:Yeah, I figured it was based on OS X standards. I never really understood zoom behavior though, it doesn't seem consistent at times.
Yea, I know sometimes it doesn't make much sense. Here is the Apple HIG section on window zooming: Window Behavior: Resizing and Zooming Windows. Hope this helps to clear a few things up.
— Robert Cameron