21%
Don't need it
79%

Total votes: 19

FA1
Knows everything, can prove it

selling a hard copy of manual

Post by FA1 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before. Has there been any thought given to selling a hard copy of the manual? You might include the beginner's tutorial and some of the others for the ultimate definitive guide to Mellel (until the next version), to be carried with you at all times.

I put it as a feature request so the poll might give some idea of the demand, although without knowing the price (and it's cheap talk of course until you have to pony up).
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

In lieu of selling the full manual (which is sure to change with each major version upgrade, not to mention the errata that would need to be included/updated for each minor version upgrade), why not maintain something that can be printed as a brochure/quick-start guide.

This is especially true if you're looking for notes on how to accomplish certain tasks (such as you would want the beginner's tutorial for). However, because of the bulk of the manual (and/or other guides), it would be rather unwieldy to carry around at all times. In addition, depending on the need/demand, there would be extensive publishing/printing fees (to be compounded when a major version is released, and also when errata need to be added), not to mention shipping costs since the Redlers are based in Israel (IIRC).

While this is a nice idea, I'd opt for each person who wants a hard-copy of the manual and/or beginner's tutorial to merely print one out for their own reference.
— Robert Cameron
FA1

Post by FA1 »

rpcameron wrote:However, because of the bulk of the manual (and/or other guides), it would be rather unwieldy to carry around at all times.
That was a joke by the way. I realize it may not work, but I've seen other developers offer a printed manual, so just something to consider.
joewiz

Re: selling a hard copy of manual

Post by joewiz »

FA1 wrote:Has there been any thought given to selling a hard copy of the manual? You might include the beginner's tutorial and some of the others for the ultimate definitive guide to Mellel (until the next version), to be carried with you at all times.
If this is considered, a good way to go would be lulu.com - a print-on-demand service. No costs for the Redlers, no inventory to maintain, etc.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Out of sheer curiosity, I'd like to know why there's the desire to have the Redlers furnish a printed copy of the same manual they supply with each version online in a hardcopy form, versus printing out the exact same material yourself.

(I'm sorry if it sounds condescending or anything of that nature, but I genuinely interested in knowing why one prefers one over the other.)
— Robert Cameron
FA1

Post by FA1 »

rpcameron wrote:Out of sheer curiosity, I'd like to know why there's the desire to have the Redlers furnish a printed copy of the same manual they supply with each version online in a hardcopy form, versus printing out the exact same material yourself.
For the same reason I would pay more for a book than a stack of paper. Binding is cool. Don't worry, it probably won't happen. You can sleep soundly. 8)