Saving Horizontal Space in the Outline Pane

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Do you want to make the Combined View of the Outline Pane more compact?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Yes, I want to save space by removing the Structure header
78%
No, the combined view makes sense to me as it is now
22%

Total votes: 18

aechallu
Knows everything, can prove it

Saving Horizontal Space in the Outline Pane

Post by aechallu »

Vote YES if you want save space in the combined view of the outline pane; I propose removing the structure header and move autotitle headers 10+pixels to the left.

Longer explanation:
I hope we see improvements in the outline pane along the lines of some recent proposals in this forum. I would like to add one more outline-pane suggestion to save some space and make the outline view more compact.

The suggestion applies to the Combined view in the Outline Pane. The current implementation leaves too much space unused on the left side: the Structure header reserves a strip of blank space under the arrow associated with the structure header. The structure header is redundant: the combined view IS the structure itself. We have nothing to lose removing this header from the outline. (I have prepared a mock-up of the saving but I see no way of attaching the image to this posting...)

As an aside, I'd like to suggest the option of always opening the outline pane in Combined mode (that could easily be added to the Appearance Preferences Window).
FA1

Post by FA1 »

I was thinking this as well. On my 12" screen, every bit counts.
kabouter
Read the guide!

Post by kabouter »

i can't vote yes or no on this - i do think space is an issue, but some people may use the structure header...

Maybe a horizontal scroll bar would be a better option. Or allow a different zoom to be set in the outline pane. Or open the outline in a separate window...
[insert witty comment here]
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

i can't vote yes or no on this - i do think space is an issue, but some people may use the structure header...
I think that the headers have a use in the default/"separate" view of the outline. In the combined view, Structure is the only header.

I have a 12-inch screen as well, every pixel counts (including the window margins...).