OpenType Small Caps bug

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

What do you prefer OpenType Small Caps to look like?

Transform all letters into small caps
9%
Transform lower case letters only
91%

Total votes: 22

transalpin
Read the guide!

OpenType Small Caps bug

Post by transalpin »

For most OpenType Fonts, Small Caps are not rendered as expected:
I wrote:Try Minion Pro’s small caps in TextEdit (CMD+T > Typography palette)! There are two options: “Small Capitals” and “Small Capitals from Capitals”. Mellel seems to apply both letter case options at the same time.
TextEdit: OPENTYPE SMALL CAPS
Mellel: OPENTYPE SMALL CAPS

Obviously this is a Mellel bug and should be fixed.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

Actually, the OpenType feature you select in Mellel is "All Small Caps", which does exactly what it says: it converts all characters into all small caps. While I don't necessarily like this behavior, it does exactly what it says it does.
— Robert Cameron
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

rpcameron wrote:Actually, the OpenType feature you select in Mellel is "All Small Caps", which does exactly what it says
Sure, it does what it says but I think that most users don’t like or have no use for All Small Caps. If I need small caps, search the manual for this therm and find a option in the OpenType drop down menu, select it and what I get is not what I want, even if it’s named correctly. So the title of the poll is wrong but the goal (a feature that allows one to create mixed caps [containing normal caps and OpenType small caps]) is right.
transalpin
Read the guide!

Post by transalpin »

As Ori noted elsewhere, it’s not a Mellel bug, it’s an Adobe feature.
The reason why TextEdit works differently here is simply because it contains an "override" for the small-caps instructions with a capital letter, that's all.
I, as most users here, want Mellel to work that way.
There might be a few cases where one would prefer all small caps (notably for acronyms to avoid a “shouting” look: NATO, AIDS). But in my opinion this is rather a combination of small caps and all lower case.
nicka

Post by nicka »

To clarify, all that is needed is that the OpenType option only applies to lowercase letters. Letters that are typed as uppercase should be left alone. That way you get all small caps by applying OpenType small caps option to lowercase letters, and mixed uppercase and smallcaps by typing eg a title as normal and applying the option.

This has to be better than finding and replacing the first letter in each word with a non-small caps variation, which is the current workaround
mc7121
Already downloaded the guide

Re: OpenType Small Caps bug

Post by mc7121 »

transalpin wrote:For most OpenType Fonts, Small Caps are not rendered as expected:
I wrote:Try Minion Pro’s small caps in TextEdit (CMD+T > Typography palette)! There are two options: “Small Capitals” and “Small Capitals from Capitals”. Mellel seems to apply both letter case options at the same time.
TextEdit: OPENTYPE SMALL CAPS
Mellel: OPENTYPE SMALL CAPS

Obviously this is a Mellel bug and should be fixed.
You're heading into the right direction but the problem is a little more complex. Please find more details in this discussion:
http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=805

Regards
Marc
transalpin
Read the guide!

Re: OpenType Small Caps bug

Post by transalpin »

mc7121 wrote:You're heading into the right direction but the problem is a little more complex. Please find more details in this discussion:
http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=805

Regards
Marc
Thx Marc. Have you read the other posting I wrote?
transalpin wrote:As Ori noted elsewhere, it’s not a Mellel bug, it’s an Adobe feature.
Looking at the results of the poll above, I guess we may expect an OpenType Small Caps option in Mellel 2.1.3. I really hope so.