81%
I am blessed in never having to use Word, so don't need it
19%

Total votes: 36

FA1
Knows everything, can prove it

RTF file that recognizes styles

Post by FA1 »

I don't think this has been formally requested here, correct me if I'm wrong. I would guess that if it was possible or easy given the constraints of the Mellel format, then we'd already have it. But what I'd really like is to be able to export to RTF and have it recognize styles.

When this was discussed before, several people pointed out that it could not possibly replicate all of the attributes and information that is contained in styles from the original Mellel document. But that is besides the point, I think. I wouldn't care if information or attributes were lost in the export process, as long as say, it recognized that something was Body Text, something else was Header 1, etc. If you're in the unfortunate situation of having to deal with Word, then you could easily reformat your text.

Like I said, I don't know the technical issues involved, whether it's even possible may have been discussed already. Nisus Writer Express can pull it off I imagine because of the native RTF format. I'm not suggesting that Mellel go that route. But perhaps it is still possible to have this ability.

Along with an improved Replace Styles function (see my other request), a round trip with Word wouldn't be so painful, and right now it may be prohibitive for many users.
FA1

Post by FA1 »

I couldn't fit this in the "No" answer, but it should say the following:

"I am also completely indifferent to the suffering of people who must use MS Word, including young children just learning to use a computer as well as future generations. Also, by not caring about the attractiveness of Mellel to Word users, I am unconcerned about a potential source of growth in the user base and the peaceful cooperation of writers around the world. In addition, I might as well be taking food off the table of the Redlers and their children (current or future)."

Please vote your conscience.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Having to deal with translated texts, documents from collaborators, text from different applications, I heavily need this function in most of my job as a technical writer. This is also the reason why I don't use Mellel for screenwriting.

I would consider it mandatory if Mellel is really going to satisfy technical writers. Unless there is a different solution to applying styles, than doing it manually, paragraph by paragraph.

Paolo
Andrew Lister
Got the auto-title mojo working

basics would be useful

Post by Andrew Lister »

If a journal asks for electronic submissions in DOC or RTF, writing in Mellel means having to reformat before submission (basic things such as line spacing in endnotes and after headings). Maybe the journals should accept PDF, but that's not my call. I could always print 3 hard copies, go to the post office and mail off the package - they do still accept papers that way - but that costs me time and money.
arent13
Got the auto-title mojo working

Sending documents between Word and Mellel

Post by arent13 »

Everybody who deals with editors, students, or other writers in general, unfortuneately have to deal with Word users, who seems not even able to save as RTF unless you really insist. To get back my styles, I open an RTF document from an editor, select all, open a Template with the style, and paste it in, then I can use File > Replace styles to reformate my document, getting the outline back means going through each header and select it, and double click the header level in Auto-Title pane, then all the outline and header styles get back in one sweep, the rest is taken care of by the Replace styles command. It would be nice if RTF export could bring the styles back, the problem is what damage the Word user and program does in the meantime.
- arent
spinningdoc
Read the guide, knows everything

rtf and styles

Post by spinningdoc »

You don't really need any of the actual style information, just the fact that a given piece of text has a style, and a unique name. Mellel can then substitute them, et voila!
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

FA1 wrote:I couldn't fit this in the "No" answer, but it should say the following:

"I am also completely indifferent to the suffering of people who must use MS Word, including young children just learning to use a computer as well as future generations. Also, by not caring about the attractiveness of Mellel to Word users, I am unconcerned about a potential source of growth in the user base and the peaceful cooperation of writers around the world. In addition, I might as well be taking food off the table of the Redlers and their children (current or future)."

Please vote your conscience.
:twisted:
Ori Redler from RedleX