Document Variables

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

the_DZA
Got the auto-title mojo working

Document Variables

Post by the_DZA »

Hello,

Being relatively new to Mellel, I may have missed this out, but it seems as thought there is no way to embed the document title or filepath in the document ie. in the footer. Using the "document variables" function would seem to be the way to do it, but I can't seem to find a way. It would also be useful to have "Date created" and "Date modified" information as variables too.

I often print out large swathes of notes and it would be very useful to know where on my computer that file is saved (or at least the filename) so I can get to it quickly.

Any thoughts?
Dan
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Document Variables

Post by Mart°n »

the_DZA wrote:Hello,
I often print out large swathes of notes and it would be very useful to know where on my computer that file is saved (or at least the filename) so I can get to it quickly.
If you use Mac OS 10.4 (also known as Tiger), you could Spotlight let do the search. Open a Finder window or the Spotlight menu, type in some words of your paper note and the Mellel document will be found (as Spotlight also searches inside the documents)

This only works, if you’ve installed the Spotlight plugin available on the Redler’s webiste:

http://www.redlers.com/download.html

Not exactly what you’re looking for but maybe a workaround until the feature is added.
lbas
Read the guide!

Post by lbas »

Dan, if you want the filename and possibly path in your document maybe you could put it in an auto-title and the auto-title in a header or footer on each page. That's what I'm learning right now in order to format book files to print more or less like a paperback.

My lbas post about autotitles may help some. Good luck! Actually Don's replies more than my posts for the help.

Woodson
the_DZA
Got the auto-title mojo working

Thanks

Post by the_DZA »

Thanks for the replies,

I guess I'll manually put it in the footer; which is a bit lame, really, but will do the trick.

An example would be something like Omnigraffle Pro, which has very nice date created, date modified fields which you can embed anywhere - and I do believe even Word lets you insert filenames.

Maybe in the future Mellel too?

D
lbas
Read the guide!

Post by lbas »

Dan, again, if I understand correctly, you have groups of printed pages that you want to contain some information about where they came from or can be found on your computer. I look for files on my machine mostly by filename or date so I'll talk about those. I'm also a beginner but I have dealt with something that can help you.

Firstly, do these groups (swathes) of pages come from printing a complete file or from printing part of a file, i.e. said file containing data you want to attribute to another source? You must handle the two cases differently for the first step only. We'll use the header or footer to store your info. (Header/footer hereafter referred to as h/f.)

Entire file same source info:
In a document without any page style breaks, with the page style used having the "Page Type" popup set to "All Pages" (check in the "layout -> page style -> Edit (whatever your selected page style name)" menu, both the odd- and even-page-numbered h/f will be the same. Assuming your h/f are empty you can now put there what you wish. The info placed in the h/f for one page will be displayed for all the pages. Click inside the h/f and then (1) type in directly (2) if you have put the info in a document variable, you can "Insert -> document variables -> (appropriate variable)" menu (3) use an Auto-Title (overkill here).

Date info can be inserted similarly from "Insert -> Date" menu.

Several different sources listed in 1 file:
If you want the h/f info to change according to the file content for that particular part of the file (ex. for chapter of a book the chapter name and/or number changes) you put in page style breaks first. A page style break forces a page break. Then the only change from the info above is to be sure that you are in a h/f in the same range as the info you insert describing it.

Auto-titles are a whole 'nother animal and I'm still taking my licks paying my dues. My wounds are fewer and less frequent now.

Maybe there is another way to allow changing the h/f info several times within a doc (as page style breaks do) but haven't found it yet.

Hope this is clear and helpful.

Woodson