Live Bookends reference formatting in Mellel

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Live formatting of Bibliography references in Mellel?

Urgent
67%
Important, but I can wait
17%
Just interesting...
7%
Leave redlers's time free for really important things
10%

Total votes: 30

eleuteruiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Live Bookends reference formatting in Mellel

Post by eleuteruiz »

I heard some time ago –don't know if it was here or in BE's forum...:oops:- about a proyect for enabling 'live' formatting of BE references in Mellel. I mean, not having to format and create a new document in order to have the references with the format you need to apply (and the bibliography), which means, in the present scenario you cannot know how the final layout of your document will be until you finish and format it. BTW, Endnote does this 'live' formatting with Word.

Now, my question is, if there is any news about this, or whether this is an expected feature. For me it would be sort of urgent, because each time I format my thesis proof I have to correct manually some things the automatic formatting does not handle well. And these corrections are virtually useless afterwards, because at the end I will have to format and correct everything again...
But perhaps it is not such a requested feature after all...

Thank you.
Eleuterio
danzac

Post by danzac »

Ya I keep harping about this (see the poll I created in this same section). Definitely an urgency.
Boban

Post by Boban »

I think this is the only thing keeping me from dropping Word altogether. Even if I have to switch from Endnote to Bookends, it might be worth it if this gets working in Mellel. I think it's a great app.
digimarkus
Already downloaded the guide

Post by digimarkus »

I would also like to see this feature, as it's really the only thing that keeps me using word. However, I would like to see this "live" formating feature work with all supported reference managers in Mellel, which at this point would also include Sente. Some people (like me) will prefer using Sente and would also like to see this sort of functionality in Mellel.

- Mark
ozean

Post by ozean »

As the Redlers and Jon have announced, improved interaction between Bookends and Mellel is almost done. I can tell you: you will enjoy it! :)
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

Developers haven't said anything about live formatting, I don't think it's in the roadmap. I enthusiastically second this proposal. If there were live formatting I'll be using the feature intensively. As it works now, I'd rather work on inserting my citations manually.
DylanMuir

Re: Live Bookends reference formatting in Mellel

Post by DylanMuir »

eleuteruiz wrote:each time I format my thesis proof I have to correct manually some things the automatic formatting does not handle well. And these corrections are virtually useless afterwards, because at the end I will have to format and correct everything again...
It seems to me that a better / more urgent suggestion would be to enhance or fix BookEnds such that it handles your needs. If you're having to change things by hand every time then it sounds like they're missing some functionality...

D.
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

DylanMuir wrote: It seems to me that a better / more urgent suggestion would be to enhance or fix BookEnds such that it handles your needs. If you're having to change things by hand every time then it sounds like they're missing some functionality...
You're right. I am always trying to suggest some enhancements, both to BE and to Mellel, and they are very responsive. But I understand that with bibliography formats it is sometimes difficult to meet everyone's needs.
Anyway, I will insist on the main problems...
Eleuterio
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

eleuteruiz wrote:I mean, not having to format and create a new document in order to have the references with the format you need to apply (and the bibliography),
Pretty sure this is coming in the next version.