Auto-Title number increment behavio(u)r

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

lbas
Read the guide!

Auto-Title number increment behavio(u)r

Post by lbas »

Dear friends,

This came out during the exchange on a post in the "Mellel" part of the forum.
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:55 am Post subject:
>I also found that if I place said autotitle into the same chapter text twice (I did in Chapter 2) then the (autotitle) in the left header shows chapter 3 for what is actually chapter 2. Reverts back to showing chapter 2 as it should when I delete the second entry from the page text.<

Mellel works on the principle that only one item at the same outline level and character can appear in the header on any given page. If you have two autotitles with the same level on one page, only the second one will appear in the header.

For example, if you put a chapter autotitle on a page, and later on the same page put another chapter autotitle, only the second one will appear in the header.

There is some logic in this, in that autotitles were primarily intended for outlining purposes, and only secondarily for use in headers. However, your point is a good one.

I suggest you put a message about this in The Nitty and the Gritty section of the forum, for others to discuss and rate how important they feel it is.

Don Broadribb
The Auto-Title in question was to give Chapter 1, Chapter 2 etc headings through a book. My feeling is that incrementing the Auto-Title number is based on the wrong criteria for it to behave in the way I observed.

OK, go crazy!
Woodson