Features I would like to have in Mellel(1)

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Graphics in Mellel

Pretty soon
41%
Not urgent
59%

Total votes: 17

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Features I would like to have in Mellel(1)

Post by raymond »

I am accepting the critics of Zoul.

First request:
I want to be able to handle graphic, shapes, and text around graphic, as it was in my word-processor on mac ten years ago, and as it was in Nisus 6.5.
joewiz

Re: Features I would like to have in Mellel(1)

Post by joewiz »

raymond wrote:I am accepting the critics of Zoul.
Except you didn't give the forum topic a proper title! "Features I would like to have in Mellel(1)" doesn't tell anyone what's inside.
zoul wrote:First, the subject (“Need in Mellel”) does not say much, so that it makes the forum harder to read.
Last edited by joewiz on Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicka

Post by nicka »

And the poll title, 'Graphics in Mellel' is not very informative either. It could refer to the simple ability to insert images, which Mellel already has, of course -- or it could be a plea for an integrated drawing capability, like Word art in MS Word or the drawing component of Appleworks.
Or it could be about text wrap around graphics or about frames for text, images etc.. One of these last seems most likely, but it's not clear, so I don't know how to vote -- I'm in favour of text wrap and frames; against integrating a drawing tool.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Raymond - please don't take our comments as rejection/annoyance. Your suggestions are welcome here in the "Nitty and Gritty" forum, but do understand that the forum was created for truly nitty, gritty suggestions. That is, deep, specific feature requests and critiques of Mellel's current implementations. The more explicit the feature request, the better readers and the Redlers can understand the nature of the request. (You can read the description of the forum's purpose, and how to design polls at http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=661 .)

One great way to get an idea of the features involved in an area such as 'graphics' is to go to the Mellel Competitive Comparison at http://www.redlers.com/mellelcompetitive.html . The Redlers break down Graphics into several areas, such as:
Graphics and image
Inserting images by drag and drop
Inserting images by copy and paste
Placing images (menu command)
Work with equation editor
Work with graphics applications
LinkBack support
Flowing text around images
Advanced text wrap
Resizing images in document
Placing images inline
Placing images in floating box
Adding caption to image
Image cropping
Control of image colour
Control of positioning and ratio
Set image size with exact values
Images in header/footer
Image in notes
Adjust image to column line spacing
Effects, borders and shadow
This list and the ratings on that web page show that the Redlers are very much aware of where Mellel lacks features. This forum is a way to help guide the implementation of those features. The best way to make a contribution is to describe what you want in great detail.

So, in sum, the more detail you can put into your requests and poll options, the better. Again, welcome.