Paste & Apply Find Set

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Paste the clipboard through a Find Set...

I like the idea
62%
I see the need, but I don't like the idea
8%
I'm indifferent
31%

Total votes: 13

aechallu
Knows everything, can prove it

Paste & Apply Find Set

Post by aechallu »

When I paste formatted content in Mellel, I would like to automatically translate italics into the character style variation I use for emphasis. This can be implemented through a paste function that pipelines the clipboard into a Find Set. Of course, the applicability exceeds translating italics into variation 3: users would be able to specify their own find actions to apply to the paste function.

I guess there are several ways to access this function. The easier hack would be a submenu that contains all find sets. Another approach would be to specially designate the Find Sets that would appear in such a submenu in the Find Sets command. I guess there are other options.

I hope people in the forum can contribute with their feedback to improve Mellel's functionality in this regard.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

I can see this as being a good thing. I don't have much experience with Find Sets yet, and haven't really used them since their introduction. But, mapping formatted info from the clipboard to different variations is a good thing!
— Robert Cameron
nicka

Post by nicka »

I thought of this too a while ago. I have a find set that I apply to all pasted text to get italics and bold into character variations so that they don't disappear when I apply paragraph formatting with an attached character style. But it's easy to forget to run the find set. It would be great if it could be set up to be done automatically to all pasted text.