paste and match style

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

danzac

paste and match style

Post by danzac »

This has probably been requested inside one of those "here is my list of requests" posts but I can't seem to find it.

Would anyone else find it useful to have a menu item and shortcut to paste and match character and paragraph styles? I hate having to paste and then change the font and size of something. And paste plain text does not always work for unicode. In particular, I use Accordance and when i copy Hebrew text and paste it in Mellel as plain text, there are weird markings that shouldn't be there- and this is only when it is pasted as plain text.

Many Mac apps have this type of pasting option, Mellel should to.

And I would go one step further and say that we should be able to assign the shortcut keys for the different pasting options in Mellel's pref's. I would rather have command>v be paste and match style.
daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by daiyi »

I second this, too, as it's one of the few things I miss about Word. Easy enough to apply styles but quicker to determine the style before pasting takes place. Yes, I have noticed other applications adding the "paste and match style" option.
donb

Post by donb »

Does this mean you want something apart from the Copy Character Attibutes, Copy Paragraph Attributes, Paste Character Attributes and Paste Paragraph attributes? All to be found in Edit > Copy Special and in Edit > Paste Special.

Agreed, having copy and paste attributes as two separate items instead of as a single item means double the work, though you could easily make it a single keystroke item using iKey.

Don Broadribb
zoul

Re: paste and match style

Post by zoul »

danzac wrote:And I would go one step further and say that we should be able to assign the shortcut keys for the different pasting options in Mellel's pref's. I would rather have command>v be paste and match style.
Anyone who wants customizable shortcuts should vote in the appropriate poll. Until such thing is implemented, one can change some of the shortcuts directly in the Mellel interface – open Mellel’s application package, find the MainMenu.nib in the Contents > Resourses > English.lproj directory and open it (it should open in the Interface Designer). Now you can easily change the shortcuts as you like, I do that myself.

Two notes: I think that the Interface Designer only comes with the developer’s tools and if you use other than the default English interface, you must search inside the appropriate .lproj directory.

This is a bit clumsy and has to be done each time a new version of Mellel comes out, but for people who spend several hours a day with Mellel it’s probably worth it.
danzac

Post by danzac »

donb wrote:Does this mean you want something apart from the Copy Character Attibutes, Copy Paragraph Attributes, Paste Character Attributes and Paste Paragraph attributes? All to be found in Edit > Copy Special and in Edit > Paste Special.

Agreed, having copy and paste attributes as two separate items instead of as a single item means double the work, though you could easily make it a single keystroke item using iKey.

Don Broadribb
Don, yes I want the exact opposite. I don't want the character or paragraph attributes from what is on the clipboard to be pasted in mellel. The text should match the paragraph and character style of where the cursor is.
zoul

Post by zoul »

danzac wrote:Don, yes I want the exact opposite. I don't want the character or paragraph attributes from what is on the clipboard to be pasted in mellel. The text should match the paragraph and character style of where the cursor is.
Doesn’t this already sort-of-work? Because this is what Paste plain text actually does – if I place the cursor at the end of a (styled) word and paste plain text, the inserted text has the same character and paragraph styles as the surrounding text. After all, what else could the Paste plain text command do, as there is no “plain” text in a word processor at all…