Wishlist for version 2.6

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

simifilm
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Wishlist for version 2.6

Post by simifilm »

skaertus wrote:Most urgent
Full Word compatibility is a must-have for me. I also wouldn´t mind to have full ODT support too...
Since this is something not even Microsoft can provide, you'll never see this in Mellel.
skaertus
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by skaertus »

Since this is something not even Microsoft can provide, you'll never see this in Mellel.
I wouldn´t say that. I´ve heard of incompatibilities between Mac and Windows versions of Word. However, I use Word XP and Word 2007 for Windows and Word 2008 for Mac to edit the very same files, and it has always worked perfectly for me - and they were quite complex files, with styles, tables of contents, footnotes and cross-references. I have never noticed any kind of incompatibility. I would be quite happy if Mellel was able to open a .doc or a .docx file the way Word 2008 does it. I simply just cannot afford to be Microsoft-free in a Microsoft world.
Duane
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Duane »

I am hoping for:
7 (better footnote control)
14 (better table control)
19 (Improved WORD integration)
I think that the last item, 19, is the most urgent, as very few people (editors, publishers, etc.) have ever heard of Mellel, much less use it. People will not accept your Mellel files, because they can't read them. If you export to RTF or Word .doc using Mellel 2.5, you will have an enormous job of fixing the format problems. This is the single most important reason I can only use Mellel as a secondary word processor, for work that I will only share via a printer or as a PDF. For any file I might have to share, I use Word. My own preference would be for Mellel to have it documents in the .docx or Open XML format, rather than the proprietary .mellel format.
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Here is my number 1.1.A URGENT wish for Mellel 2.6:
Because of all the poor people who have not yet adopted Mellel - they may even still use Windows or worse - you often have to import texts through RTF. In doing so, one is most often faced with a magma of styles all called 'par. style.+'. Since people using other WPs (read: Word) are not encouraged to use styles in any disciplined way, there may be a lot of these 'par. style+'s and there is no way of knowing which one is involved at the place where you want to impose your Mellel-style. In most cases these variations only cover a small change, e.g. a changed tab that was not used anyway, but sometimes they make a lot of difference. Can’t we have a list of styles that have different and unique numbers (or whatever other way of distinguishing them), so that one knows that this part of the imported MS is in style ‘X’ and you can safely change it globally into your Mellel style ‘text’. It may be argued that there is a detailed description of the styles once you call it up in ‘replace styles’, but as far as I am concerned, this will not do - too uncertain.
mkhabbaz
New to all this

Post by mkhabbaz »

my top are
1. 10 (side notes)
2. 15 (floating text boxes/around images)
3. 27 (quicklook integration)

small adjustment
1. footnotes control (pressing arrow up move you from one note to another , pressing Command+A select all notes, switch between endnotes and footnotes)

2. detachable outline pane

Nice to have
1. ability to turn on and off part of the text from the outline. think of this as your photoshop layers, it allows me to work on specific part of my text, print it, export it, format it without the need to go through zillion pages. it would extra nice to have two options when you turn an outline 'element' off : 1. let the text flow (i.e. it acts as if you deleted the text) OR 2. just hide it (i.e. equivalent of coloring the text white)

2. AND/OR similar feature to controle style : this way I can create a style called : "notes and corrections" and give it a color "red", then I can hide all text associated with that style and print. this could be done in similar ways or by right-clicking on a style/outline element.

best,
nalugu
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by nalugu »

Ooo I can't wait anymore for this one
(3) two-pages-view

finishing a long text (in pages for the time being), really would love to use mellel outlining and everything, but without the two-pages view how can one work? It's like reading the book you are working on...
any land in sight with this?
nalugu@snafu.de
TomEck
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by TomEck »

nalugu wrote:Ooo I can't wait anymore for this one
(3) two-pages-view

finishing a long text (in pages for the time being), really would love to use mellel outlining and everything, but without the two-pages view how can one work? It's like reading the book you are working on...
nalugu@snafu.de
FYI
gpolberd

Post by gpolberd »

nalugu wrote:Ooo I can't wait anymore for this one
(3) two-pages-view

nalugu@snafu.de
Nalugu,

Two-pages view is here.
skaertus
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by skaertus »

Now that Mellel 2.6 is released, there should be a wishlist for version 2.7... should we change the name of this topic or create another one?
nicka

Post by nicka »

A new topic seems best. I'll start one.