Embed Fonts?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Embed Fonts?

Post by laup »

I have noted the positive comments about Warnock Pro (an OpenType font that is available to me) and am contemplating creating a style using it and perhaps one other OpenType font (for headings). However, it is not clear to me how to assure that they would travel with a Mellel document to machines that don't have the fonts installed. Is there a way to embed fonts in Mellel--at least to the extent of allowing the fonts to be seen correctly and printed on another machine that does not have Warnock Pro installed?

I mention Warnock Pro specifically because is is not on a list of Microsoft Office Compatible fonts that I came across.
Paul
Mart°n

Re: Embed Fonts?

Post by Mart°n »

There’s currently no option to embed fonts into a Mellel document. This may be because of the copyright that applies to most fonts (the Warnock Pro package, consisting of 8 font faces, costs about $ 230 – so Adobe would not be happy, if you distribute it to other users).

The only way to ensure proper display and printing of your document on a different computer, is to send a PDF along with your Mellel file. The PDF could then be viewed and printed similar to the Mellel document on your computer.
laup

Post by laup »

Thanks Mart°n. I thought that font developers controlled what could be done with their fonts, and that there was an option to permit embedding to the extent of assuring that someone on a different machine would see it properly but not then have the font on their own machine for other purposes. As I vaguely recall, there were options such as view, edit, and install. But the rules may have changed.
Paul
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Warnock Pro does permit embedding, but this is more for embedding a subset of the font into a PDF or similar type of file. Mellel does not support this type of font embedding.

The only way to ensure that Warnock is used when distributing the file is to either send a PDF, or to make sure that your recipient has a (hopefully legally licensed) copy of Warnock Pro, too.
— Robert Cameron