Unable to access Lists

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Unable to access Lists

Post by shades »

I am using 2.8.1 on SN 10.6.6

Since upgrading I have not been able to access the lists. While the palette opens, nothing happens when I click on any item in the palette. I downloaded the program again, for a fresh install and still nothing.

When I hit the “increase list indent” button, then I get the following: a small window saying “Rendering document”. The only way to get out of this is to quit Mellel.

MellelList

So, how can I get access to the List palette?

Thanks
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
Mart°n

Re: Unable to access Lists

Post by Mart°n »

No Problem here (OS X 10.6.6, Mellel 2.8.1 build 4).
Have you tried using a different font or a different Style set? Have you installed, activated or deactivated some fonts recently?
shades

Post by shades »

Mart°n wrote:No Problem here (OS X 10.6.6, Mellel 2.8.1 build 4).
Have you tried using a different font or a different Style set? Have you installed, activated or deactivated some fonts recently?
Yes, I tried other fonts and style sets. Have not activated or deactivated fonts in more than two years.
Rich

shades

Post by shades »

Well after further testing, I still have no ability to access the list palette. And another item I just discovered - footnotes/endnotes.

When I try to insert a Footnote, everything works. But when I try to insert Endnote, the Insert menu does not have it. When I click the Edit footnote style, then I can choose Endnote from the dropdown. But it eliminates the footnote, putting that text in the main text. Still cannot see Endnote and Footnote at the same time when I go to Insert > Note. In fact, when I edit it to be Endnotes, and go to Insert > Note it still shows as Footnote, but is entered as Endnote.

So, in desperation, I deleted everything Mellel on my computer (yes, I saved the registration code!), including all supporting files. I downloaded a fresh copy of Mellel 2.8.1 and installed. Exactly the same response for both List palette and for Footnote and Endnote.

I quit several additional applications (Spell Catcher, TextExpander, etc.). Still no success.

I used Disk Utility and Onyx. Ran them all. Still does not work. No other program on the computer has any problems (Nisus Writer Pro, Adobe InDesign, Papyrus, Scrivener, Tinderbox, MacJournal, Notebook, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc.).

I have used Mellel for seven years flawlessly, but this has me stumped, and it couldn't be at a worse time. I have major projects I am writing, and that includes using some with Hebrew fonts (which Mellel excels at). Without both footnotes and endnotes this leaves me a major gap. And without Lists, it adds additional headaches.
Last edited by shades on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

shades

Post by shades »

BTW, I will still try other things to resolve and get Mellel to work, but...
Rich

shades

Post by shades »

Eureka!

I stayed up until 4 AM this morning working and thinking about this (yes, it is that important to me). After two more restarts after the fresh download, for some reason, the list attributes finally came alive!

Also, I found that I needed to manually add the Endnote to the Note menu.

All is well in the Mellel world. :D :D

Sorry to distract everyone.
Rich

nicka

Post by nicka »

Redlers -- hope that you are reading this thread. Please do as I have suggested and have both endnotes and footnotes set up by default. Then no one will have to go through all this just to put an endnote in a document.
shades

Post by shades »

Unfortunately, the list problem has again appeared. Same issue as original post. I went through all the trouble shooting as before including rebuilding font cache. Nothing allows me to use the styles palette.
:(
Rich

shades

Post by shades »

Well, not sure what it was, but I downloaded again, and had to completely erase Mellel and install everything from fresh (I did keep the originals elsewhere). So far, the lists work with this.
Rich