Now that Lion is out…

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Now that Lion is out…

Post by kjmatthews »

…are there any plans to implement "Versions" in Mellel?
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Re: Now that Lion is out…

Post by nvalvo »

Just to reiterate: this is pretty important for us all to know, and soon.

That said, having gone ahead impetuously and upgraded to Lion, I can add a data point for all of you that Mellel works as before, at least on the one fairly simple document I've worked on. The new scrollbars are even attractive in the Mellel aqua interface, which is not the case with some applications, e.g., pre-update Pages.

So, Redlers, while the apparent compatibility means I'll be patient while you get a 'Lionized' update together, I'm a bit antsy to hear about your plans.
centralasian
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by centralasian »

Mellel is working fine for me too. I upgraded right near the end of a project involving rtl text, 1400+ pages, multiple sections, styles, automation all over... and it's great! I might add it actually seems to run a little quicker. Prior to Lion when I edited something on page 1287 there was a pause, the spinning beach ball would appear, then another longer pause (sometimes long enough to make me think it had stalled), then the change. Now, there is just a pause. :) :D
the best roads of all are the ones which aren't certain - bruce cockburn
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

We'll post more details soon but we are planning to adopt the new Lion features like auto-save/versions, iCloud and full screen in the version after 2.9 (which is coming very very soon).
Mellel 2.8.2 is compatible with Lion so this issue should not hold back people from upgrading to Lion.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Great! Hope to see long-awaited Comments as well. It seems that Comments would be a natural function to have added when Track Changes was implemented. Will Comments be forthcoming anytime soon?

Thanks. Keep up the good work.
russael
New to all this

Post by russael »

I've been using Mellel for long documents (up to 1000 pages) for years. Works great.

I switched to lion and scroll doesn't work. Sure, I can use the mouse, and I can page up and down, but I need to be able to click on the scroll icon in the vertical scroll bar and move it up or down a few pages or a hundred pages, etc., which I no longer can do. This is a downright hassle for my work. I checked in preferences, manual, and whatnot, no mention of what I might need to do to make scroll work. I hear it's working for others.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

russael wrote:I've been using Mellel for long documents (up to 1000 pages) for years. Works great.

I switched to lion and scroll doesn't work. Sure, I can use the mouse, and I can page up and down, but I need to be able to click on the scroll icon in the vertical scroll bar and move it up or down a few pages or a hundred pages, etc., which I no longer can do. This is a downright hassle for my work. I checked in preferences, manual, and whatnot, no mention of what I might need to do to make scroll work. I hear it's working for others.
In the System Preferences, under "General", change the "Show scroll bars:" option to "Always". Perhaps that will help by forcing the gutter to always be present.
— Robert Cameron
ablaze
Already downloaded the guide

Post by ablaze »

Eyal Redler wrote:We'll post more details soon but we are planning to adopt the new Lion features like auto-save/versions, iCloud and full screen in the version after 2.9 (which is coming very very soon).
Mellel 2.8.2 is compatible with Lion so this issue should not hold back people from upgrading to Lion.
Could you please, please, release an update supporting Versions, Fullscreen, and iCloud support without implementing other features that could delay the arrival of these?! I wish the new stuff that is really cool in Lion and essential for the new experience could be implemented fast and not be tied to improvements to the core functionality, which I like very much as it is now.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

ablaze wrote:Could you please, please, release an update supporting Versions, Fullscreen, and iCloud support without implementing other features that could delay the arrival of these?! I wish the new stuff that is really cool in Lion and essential for the new experience could be implemented fast and not be tied to improvements to the core functionality, which I like very much as it is now.
We are looking forward very eagerly to adopt the exciting Lion features and we plan to devote a version for this adoption so you'll be able to get these as soon as possible.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
ablaze
Already downloaded the guide

Post by ablaze »

That sounds exciting. Thanks for the statement.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

russael wrote:I switched to lion and scroll doesn't work. Sure, I can use the mouse, and I can page up and down, but I need to be able to click on the scroll icon in the vertical scroll bar and move it up or down a few pages or a hundred pages, etc., which I no longer can do.
In my testing, you can scroll to make the scroll bar appear, and then grab the scroll bar before it disappears again. THen you can zip up and down as much as you like.

Did setting the scroll bar to always be visible also help?

DRM
suavito

Post by suavito »

russael wrote:I've been using Mellel for long documents (up to 1000 pages) for years. Works great.

About which preferences are you talking? You can set the scroll bars to always show in the OS Lion preferences under General Appearance (or whatever it is called in English; it's the very first preference). The default is "automatic", which means you only see the scroll bars when you are scrolling already. The scroll bars in Lion are meant to be indicators of your position in a window more than actual scroll bars. Which is fine when you are using a track pad but not with a mouse. Luckily the preferences are programmed flexible enough to fix that.
The finger is the most popular bird.