Long document variable does not respect document borders

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Long document variable does not respect document borders

Post by kjmatthews »

Let's say I have a document in which I've defined a document variable as "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious supercalifragilisticexpialidocious supercalifragilisticexpialidocious supercalifragilisticexpialidocious supercalifragilisticexpialidocious supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". When I print this variable in the document, it overflows the document's borders instead of breaking onto different lines. Is there any way to make it behave properly, like regular text?
DylanMuir

Re: Long document variable does not respect document borders

Post by DylanMuir »

Sounds like a bug that should be reported to the redlers.

DRM
psychomachine
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by psychomachine »

wow. this is still the case, five years later. makes document variables totally useless for anybody who has to have a long title, which in academic writing is not that rare.
psychomachine
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by psychomachine »

I can now confirm that this bug is still present in Mellel 4
heartcore
New to all this

Post by heartcore »

When will this really annoying problem finally be solved?
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

I wouldn’t want to see any change in the current behavior of document variables myself. I think it’s more useful than the behavior called for by earlier contributors to this thread. I think it’s a feature, not a bug.

Document variables are best used to automate changes in brief recurrent bits of text -- author(s), short title, date and the like -- things that must fit into restricted bits of space in headers, footers, title pages, etc., bits of space typically shorter than a full line of text. Replace a short author or title with an unexpectedly long one, and you can easily make a planned title page break into two successive pages or render parts of a planned header or footer completely invisible. The current behavior of document variables provides clear visual feedback about such issues by making excess text run into the margin in a conspicuous way, encouraging me to edit the value of the variable down to something more suitable right away. If the text of a document variable broke into separate lines in the usual manner, I’d lose that important feedback, and it might take me much longer to spot and fix formatting issues.

It is true that academic works often have overall titles and chapter titles that run to multiple lines, but style manuals I know of require these to be shortened in order to fit into running heads. It’s these shortened titles that are best handled with document variables.