Why is iCloud support MAS only?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ablaze
Already downloaded the guide

Why is iCloud support MAS only?

Post by ablaze »

I would love to have Mellel from the Mac App Store, but your offer to get updates for free for life was too tempting back then. I would pay again for 3.0. Can you offer some kind of discount. Perhaps discount the app for a day for your existing customers?
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Re: Why is iCloud support MAS only?

Post by Eyal Redler »

At the moment, iCloud is not available to non app store applications in general, this is not a specific Mellel restrictions. It is possible that this will be worked around in the future but don't expect Apple to allow this officially as they're trying to make the Mac App Store more appealing then the other channels (there are also some technical details that require this in a way).
Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide us with a way to give special discounts to specific people or groups but we do occasionally discount Mellel in the app store so you might want to watch for this, the discount can be quite significant.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
rebecca
New to all this

Post by rebecca »

I resent Apple's attitude. Sounds like Dropbox + Mellel for me.
TomEck
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by TomEck »

Eyal Redler wrote:At the moment, iCloud is not available to non app store applications in general, this is not a specific Mellel restrictions. It is possible that this will be worked around in the future but don't expect Apple to allow this officially as they're trying to make the Mac App Store more appealing then the other channels (there are also some technical details that require this in a way).
Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide us with a way to give special discounts to specific people or groups but we do occasionally discount Mellel in the app store so you might want to watch for this, the discount can be quite significant.
Maybe it could of help to take a look at "PDFpen Cloud Access" as a workaround. From the product description:
"The Mac OS X companion to PDFpen for 'Pad. The iCloud companion to PDFpen and PDFpen Pro.
(If you have PDFpen for Mac or PDFpenPro for Mac from the Mac App Store, the PDFpen
Cloud Access functionality is already built-in, so you don't need PDFpen Cloud Access.)
PDFpen Cloud Access helps you manage your PDFpen documents on iCloud. PDFpen has its
own space to store your documents on iCloud. You can access PDFpen documents on iCloud
via PDFpen for iPad, PDFpen for Mac. PDFpenPro for Mac, and PDFpen Cloud Access.
FEATURES
- View PDFpen documents an iCloud
- Open PDFpen documents an iCloud
- Remove PDFpen documents from iCloud to local management
- Delete PDFpen documents on iCloud
- Rename PDFpen documents an iCloud
- Preview PDFpen document content on iCloud
- Integrates with PDFpen for 'Pad
- Integrates with PDFpen and PDFpenPro (version 51 and Pater)"
Regards, T.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

We are looking into the possibilities here. The "PDFpen Cloud Access" is very interesting indeed.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Cavi
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Cavi »

Use Dropbox! =]
http://db.tt/W4JvdPj
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

Cavi wrote:Use Dropbox! =]
http://db.tt/W4JvdPj
Or use CloudMe if you do not want the Patriot Act interfere with your work. :)
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

Eyal Redler wrote:Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide us with a way to give special discounts to specific people or groups but we do occasionally discount Mellel in the app store so you might want to watch for this, the discount can be quite significant.
Oh good, another reason to obsessively monitor the App Store…

I recall that Sparrow gave out free licenses through the MAS for members of its beta team. Couldn't Mellel do the same for people who want to migrate to the app-store version?
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by nvalvo »

I recently re-purchased/upgraded Mellel through the Mac App Store, and yet my copy does not appear to support iCloud.

I infer that iCloud is not supported by the greyed-out text "iCloud not enabled" in the File menu.

What am I doing wrong?
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by nvalvo »

rebecca wrote:I resent Apple's attitude. Sounds like Dropbox + Mellel for me.
I wouldn't. I think there are reasonable implementation-related reasons that they want to have some oversight over applications that use the iCloud document storage features. After all, we'll all hold them responsible if something goes wrong with our data on their watch.

Dropbox should be a fine choice, however.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

nvalvo wrote:I recently re-purchased/upgraded Mellel through the Mac App Store, and yet my copy does not appear to support iCloud.

I infer that iCloud is not supported by the greyed-out text "iCloud not enabled" in the File menu.

What am I doing wrong?
Did you enable iCloud in System Preferences?
Eyal Redler
----------------------
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Before another semester starts, I am seriously considering re-purchasing Mellel through the MAS so that I can use iCloud to sync documents between work and home computers.

There has been talk of a discount being offered. Will this, by chance, be happening anytime soon? I just purchased a license in 2011, but don't mind doing so again (even though Apple will take a big bite out of the $40) if there are no immediate plans for a MAS Mellel special-friends-of-Rick price.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Still would love to see a comments feature implemented soon. With track changes done already, it seems that it wouldn't be so difficult to add that feature.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

One thing to note for users considering iCould:

Documents saved/synced with iCloud can ONLY be accessed through the Mellel application. They are not available through the filesystem. So, if you have a backup, or use older versions of Mellel (because of PPC support, for example), your new documents will by inaccessible to you. Only copies of Mellel purchased through the MAS have access to iCloud, so only those copies of Mellel can see your Mellel documents stored in iCloud.

On a side note: Has anyone considered the ramifications of iCloud upon interoperability of applications? This includes Bookends/Sente integration or other workflows. If your bibliography is stored in one application's iCloud storage, and you attempt to access it from Mellel, Mellel will not be able to see the file, because it is only accessible to the creating application. Similarly, if you use a program to do any work on a Mellel file (such as extracting information or creating an index, &c.) you can no longer do so, because those Mellel files are only visible to Mellel.

(I just thought I might put this out there, since it does not seem like many people, developers included, have truly thought about the ramifications of iCloud integration. Also, for applications that use iCloud, the save dialog in Mountain Lion defaults to iCould, so even if you do not mean to use iCloud, it is very easy to accidentally do so, but it can be difficult to troubleshoot problems because iCloud documents do not show in the Finder. For those of you with iOS devices, think about how difficult it is working with files—iCloud is the same type of scheme where applications can only see their own files, and no one else even knows they exist ...)
— Robert Cameron
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Your iCloud documents are synced into ~/Library/Mobile Documents. Within that folder there will be a folder with "Mellel" in the title, probably (I don't have the MAS version, so I don't know the exact name). In a sub-folder called "Documents" will be all your iCloud Mellel documents. So you can most likely still access them without Mellel, including from other apps and for the non-MAS version of Mellel.

DRM
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

DylanMuir wrote:Your iCloud documents are synced into ~/Library/Mobile Documents. Within that folder there will be a folder with "Mellel" in the title, probably (I don't have the MAS version, so I don't know the exact name). In a sub-folder called "Documents" will be all your iCloud Mellel documents. So you can most likely still access them without Mellel, including from other apps and for the non-MAS version of Mellel.

DRM
While they will usually be in there, you cannot always count on it, since OS X seems to be moving to further obfuscate the file system. In Lion the ~/Library directory was hidden by default, only visible by holding down Option and clicking the Go menu. There are tricks to bring it back, but this level of hiding the file system is certain to increase as Apple takes over control of more and more aspects of computing.

(For a look at some of the problems with iCloud and documents, give this article a read.)
— Robert Cameron