Mellel and ExpressO

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

skaertus
Got the styles thing figured out

Mellel and ExpressO

Post by skaertus »

I am a legal scholar. In my field of research, several articles are submitted to legal journals in the U.S. by means of a service provided by the University of California at Berkeley called ExpressO (http://law.bepress.com/expresso/). ExpressO is very convenient because it is a platform which allows an article to be submitted simultaneously to over 700 journals in the U.S., and to choose in which one it will be published (once the article is accepted for publication).

However, ExpressO only accepts articles saved in Word and Word Perfect formats. It strongly encourages the articles to be submitted in Word (.DOC), as all journals will accept it. Word Perfect files are accepted by a smaller amount of law reviews. Authors are strongly encouraged not to convert Word Perfect files to Word files, because, according to their own words, the "manuscript may be corrupted during the conversion in small but significant ways". As a result, although the converted file may look perfect in the computer of the author, it may not in the computer of the editor. I wonder how much of a problem this is, if any. And this also makes me wonder how would a conversion from Mellel behave.

Has anybody in this forum used Mellel to write an article which was later converted to a Word file and then submitted to law reviews via ExpressO? Was it a straightforward process? Were there any issues?

Thank you in advance for your help.
GediWorrier
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Mellel and ExpressO

Post by GediWorrier »

Not exactly for the purpose you mentioned, but I have exported to Word format and I was very impressed by it.

GediWorrier.