Find/Replace citation numbers

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

grebmar
Already downloaded the guide

Find/Replace citation numbers

Post by grebmar »

I imported a file from Scrivener to finalize it for publication. As imported, sentences with footnotes have a period at the end, followed by a reference symbol [that is, it looks like this: sentence.(#)].My journal requires that I have the period after the reference symbol [that is, it should look like this: sentence (#).].

I cannot figure out how to do a search and replace that will swaps the reference symbol and the period. Is this possible?
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Find/Replace citation numbers

Post by ozean »

Can’t you change the footnote style to achieve this? (To do this go to the menu bar: Insert > Note > Edit note attributes…)
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

I know your problem well from editing a journal, where a certain number of the contributors do not know where to put the footnote references correctly. I have searched high and low, but always end up correcting it by hand. In English and Danish, and surely in a fair number of other languages, footnotes refs come after punctuation, while in French and German they come before punctuation. If your journal demands they be put before punctuation, you must either convince them that this is wrong, find another journal, write in another language, or correct it by hand which can be quite tiresome.
If the search menu in Mellel had an item called footnote reference one might be able to search that followed by a comma or a full stop and then replace it, but reference in the search menu apparently does not mean footnote reference, so there.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Ah, ok, now I see the problem. I also tried a few different approaches, but even the find selection feature doesn’t help – seems this is something that needs to be enabled/fixed by the Redlers…
grebmar
Already downloaded the guide

Post by grebmar »

Thank you for the answers. The paper was not long, so in the end I simply moved all the periods by hand. It sure would be nice to be able to insert a "footnote reference" into the search box.
Gustave
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by Gustave »

Hello everyone,

Is there now a solution to search in a document all citation numbers?

If not, could this idea be integrated into the search menu?

Gustave