trouble with unwanted repetition in citations

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Sayyaar
Got the auto-title mojo working

trouble with unwanted repetition in citations

Post by Sayyaar »

Greetings to all,

Does anyone else have a problem using the live bibliography feature in conjunction with the Bookends feature that allows one to place literal quoted text between backslashes in a temporary citation? I use this feature frequently, and for some time now, Mellel has been duplicating the quoted text between the backslashes an unpredictable number of times. For example, when a temporary citation looks like this:

Sprengling, 1916, #49161@145-216\ contains a very comprehensive summary of the earliest work on these questions\

in the "edit citation" dialogue box, it actually looks like this in the document:

Martin Sprengling, “Antonius Rhetor on Versification With an Introduction and Two Appendices,” The American Journal of Semitic Languages and Literatures 32, no. 3 (1916): 145-216 contains a very comprehensive summary of the earliest work on these questions. contains a very comprehensive summary of the earliest work on these questions

Sometimes the phrase in backslashes is quoted multiple times. Perhaps it duplicates each time I do a scan. I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas. Is it a Bookends problem? A Mellel bug? A user-error? My document is very large: over 134,000 words, and about 360 citations.

Best,

Sayyaar
SYR
Sayyaar
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: trouble with unwanted repetition in citations

Post by Sayyaar »

Well, I believe I found the answer to my own question. In the Bookends user guide, I found the following line:

Note that you can't mix Cited Pages and "quoted text" together at the end of a citation. If you want to
cite a page followed by a comment, place both after a \ as "quoted text".

I guess Bookends has trouble identifying the quoted text because I have incorrectly mixed two quote indicators: the backslashes and the @ sign. I'll change this and see if that resolves the issue.

Best,

Sayyaar
SYR
kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: trouble with unwanted repetition in citations

Post by kjmatthews »

This is a Bookends question. But I think all you need to do is get rid of the backslashes. Anything after the @ sign will be output as is.