Mellel 3.4 is Here!

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

redlers
Site Admin

Mellel 3.4 is Here!

Post by redlers »

Mellel 3.4 is here! And there are several nice new features in it...
  • • Export outline to PDF: Mellel will now allow you to export our outline to PDF, displayed as bookmark. This new feature will allow you to set if you wish to include bookmarks when exporting and if to list tag flows (e.g., image captions, characters in the text, and so on) separately. 
    • Export annotations to PDF: Mellel will now let you export annotations, regardless of the state of their display when exporting to PDF. 
    • Mellel is now 64/32 bit universal binary, including QuickLook and Spotlight plug-ins. Things will get faster. 
    • Language handling improvements: including a better definition of None language, and improved handling of text pasted from RTF and html.
    • Improved image handling: now using an 8 handles system. Should work more nicely
    • Revised and improved positioning of pages are positioned in the document view. 
    • Improved handling and detection of clicks outside pages for better selection behaviour.
    • Improved Find Set interaction: To start, the Find Set is about Mellel will now allow stopping of a Find Set when it is run, a smooth animation and display of the log while the FindSet is run, and improved performance — roughly 60 percent fast by our tests.
    • Revised and improved Scroll to show (this is the scrolling done when searching and navigating in the document)
    • Document window and Find Sets window are now Yosemite friendly (in terms of how they look).
    • Improved font substitution: for characters not supported by selected font. Mellel will now consider boldness of the font, etc.
    • Improved missing font substitution: Mellel will try to match the face (bold, italic etc) of the substitute font with the face of the original font. 
    • Renamed Copy/Paste Special menu items to include the word Copy or Paste for better clarity and to allow assigning keyboard shortcuts to them.
    • Improved rendering of letters+combining marks (accents) for non-OpenType fonts.
You can check out further details:
On our web site: http://www.mellel.com
Latest update info: http://www.mellel.com/relese-notes-latest
vinesy
Read the guide!

Re: Mellel 3.4 is Here!

Post by vinesy »

Thanks, great update. Love the PDF outline feature.
tika-tika
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by tika-tika »

Nice work with the PDF outline export and linked PDF cross references... much requested features that look great.

Some minor comments:

1. It would be nice to be able to select which headings to include or exclude (as bookmarks are excludable) as sometimes document structures don't make sense in the outline. A PDF outline is editable in a PDF editor (like Acrobat Pro), but it would be nice to do right in Mellel for those who don't have such an editor.

2. If a chapter heading includes a return, the PDF outline also includes the return in Adobe Reader & Pro. In Skim, only the first line is included, with everything after the return deleted. In Preview, the return is omitted, with everything showing on one line. Mellel's outline does the same thing and I think it makes good sense. Implementing an outline format that puts everything together would standardise how the outline looks in different PDF readers better.

Thanks for your continued development of Mellel. It gets better with every release.
jath
New to all this

Post by jath »

I just installed the new version 3.4 and cannot open Mellel any longer. The error message says I should check with the developers whether the version of Mellel is still compatible with my OS. However, I am working on OS X 10.6.8, which should still work...
jath
New to all this

Post by jath »

jath wrote:I just installed the new version 3.4 and cannot open Mellel any longer. The error message says I should check with the developers whether the version of Mellel is still compatible with my OS. However, I am working on OS X 10.6.8, which should still work...
Just found the solution. For those who encounter the same problem: the box "Open in 32 bit modus" must be checked in Mellel's information window
rwg
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rwg »

Since updating to Mellel 3.4 (on OS 10.9) hyphenation no longer works (and, yes, the paragraph style is properly set for hyphenation). Files that previously opened with hyphenation displaying now open without hyphenation. Has anyone else had this problem? If there is no fix, I suppose I will have to go back to the previous version.
jonmeta
New to all this

Post by jonmeta »

jath wrote:I just installed the new version 3.4 and cannot open Mellel any longer. The error message says I should check with the developers whether the version of Mellel is still compatible with my OS. However, I am working on OS X 10.6.8, which should still work...
I got the same error message with v 3.4 running OS 10.6.8. I use Mellel several hours a day every day and needed an immediate fix. Checked the website's downloads for old versions but they're not available. :( Fortunately, I found an old v 3.2 installer in my downloads folder and was able to work around the problem.

Now I've reloaded v 3.4 with the "Open in 32 bit mode" box ticked in "Get Info" and it's working fine. Thanks, jath.

I think in situations like this there needs to be a way to revert to the earlier version, other than being lucky enough not to have trashed the old installer. And of course this 32 bit mode work-around should be noted in the specs somewhere.

Yes, I'm going to find time to install Yosemite...
Reinhard Duczek
New to all this

Post by Reinhard Duczek »

rwg wrote:Since updating to Mellel 3.4 (on OS 10.9) hyphenation no longer works (and, yes, the paragraph style is properly set for hyphenation). Files that previously opened with hyphenation displaying now open without hyphenation. Has anyone else had this problem? If there is no fix, I suppose I will have to go back to the previous version.
Same here, the paragraph style is properly set. But there is no hyphenation displaying. My system is Yosemite 10.10.3, Mellel 3.4 App Store Version.
rwg
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rwg »

Reinhard Duczek wrote: Same here, the paragraph style is properly set. But there is no hyphenation displaying. My system is Yosemite 10.10.3, Mellel 3.4 App Store Version.
This would seem to be a serious bug. I have since gone back to the previous version of Mellel, and hyphenation is displaying properly again.
Manu31
Read the guide!

Hyphenation Bug

Post by Manu31 »

Same problem with hyphenation. I run latest version of Yosemite.
pepe
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by pepe »

Where in your development plan is the inclusion of Figure legends connected to figures? The table workaround is getting really old. This feature has been among the most requested for many years, and I would really like to have a feeling on whether you are even thinking of ever implementing it.

Otherwise, thanks for a great word processor.