Cmd space not working even after disabling in spotlight

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

JWH
Already downloaded the guide

Cmd space not working even after disabling in spotlight

Post by JWH »

Greetings,
My institution just upgraded my HDD to a SSD (with upgrade from Lion to El Capitan), so I did a fresh Mellel install. I disabled both shortcut keys in Spotlight to be able to use this shortcut to switch languages in Mellel. But the "cmd+space bar" still does not switch. I can only switch manually using the input source menu. I'm a 10 year old dog on Mellel, so I'm really puzzled. Any ideas?
John
vinesy
Read the guide!

Re: Cmd space not working even after disabling in spotlight

Post by vinesy »

I know this is not exactly what you're asking for, but I have set CMD+L as a global keyboard switcher (System Preferences>keyboard>Shortcuts>input sources) and this way I can switch between languages just fine.

(This also requires Mellel>preferences>language>"Synchronise language and keyboard" to be checked).
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Bulow »

I don't think this problem concerns Mellel, but rather the system preferences.
System preferences > Keyboard > input source > shortcuts and tick the box 'Select previous input source'. Then the shortcut should work.
Since I write in several modern languages, all using the Latin alphabet, I have disconnected keyboard and language, but that depends on what you want. It makes sense, of course, if you only write English and Hebrew.
Bülow
JWH

Post by JWH »

Bulow wrote:I don't think this problem concerns Mellel, but rather the system preferences.
System preferences > Keyboard > input source > shortcuts and tick the box 'Select previous input source'. Then the shortcut should work.
Since I write in several modern languages, all using the Latin alphabet, I have disconnected keyboard and language, but that depends on what you want. It makes sense, of course, if you only write English and Hebrew.
Bülow
Thank you, Bulow. This was the solution. I altered your advice slightly, choosing the "Select next input source" instead of "Select previous input source." If that is a mistake for some reason I can't foresee, please let me know. I appreciate your help!

I just discovered that if I assign the hot key to "Select *next* input source" that the command proceeds through my available languages, which also includes Greek. But if I check "Select *previous* input source" as you recommended, the hot key toggles back and forth between my default (English) and my secondary (Hebrew). That's better for my purposes! Thanks again.
Last edited by JWH on Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWH

Post by JWH »

vinesy wrote:I know this is not exactly what you're asking for, but I have set CMD+L as a global keyboard switcher (System Preferences>keyboard>Shortcuts>input sources) and this way I can switch between languages just fine.

(This also requires Mellel>preferences>language>"Synchronise language and keyboard" to be checked).
Thanks, vinesy. This is the same as Bulow recommended----it works. I appreciate your help.
John