View -> Show Tab Bar - Open document into a Tab?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

JimmyMonkey
Got the styles thing figured out

View -> Show Tab Bar - Open document into a Tab?

Post by JimmyMonkey »

The View Menu has the "show tab bar" option, and I can easily create a new document in that tab (which is nice), but I cannot work out how to put an existing document into the tab bar.

Initially I hoped that if I saved, shut down, and then re-started Mellel, the session would open back up with the same tabs available. In lieu of that, I thought I would be able to somehow drag or open an existing document into the tab bar, so I can easily switch between them (say document filled with research in one tab, and manuscript document in the other). When I try the user guide, etc., they don't seem to mention the View- Show Tab Bar option and what I can do with it.

I've searched on the User Guide, Forums and the Web in general for this, but can't find any documentation (lots about ruler tabs, but nothing about the tab bar). Sorry if this is a lame question that should be obvious.

Jas
Moises Zumaeta

Re: View -> Show Tab Bar - Open document into a Tab?

Post by Moises Zumaeta »

If I understand correctly what you wish to do is to open an existing document in a second tab. If that is the case the process is fairly simple. Before you open a second tab you must of course have a document already open. Then, you need to click on the second tab which will bring up the "open template" from where you would normally choose your default templates. When this happens rather than choosing a default template, go to "file" and then click "open." This will bring up a finder window from where you could choose any Mellel document stored in any folder. Select the document you want to use and it will open in the second tab. Hopefully this is what you are looking for!
vinesy
Read the guide!

Post by vinesy »

Or click: Window --> Merge all windows
JimmyMonkey

Post by JimmyMonkey »

Fabulous! Thanks for the help.

Jas
JimmyMonkey

Post by JimmyMonkey »

Also, just a note on opening a new document from the tab bar . . . I wasn't getting the option to open a file as Moises suggests above because I had a setting that did not allow it work. So the setting should be:

Preferences -> Open & Save -> With New Documents -> Open Template Browser (rather than "Use A Template").

Jas