Syncing between Mellel 4 and Mellel for iPad

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joseph_anton
Knows everything, can prove it

Syncing between Mellel 4 and Mellel for iPad

Post by joseph_anton »

I understand that the version of Mellel purchased directly from the Mellel store works slightly differently to the MAS version with respect to syncing over iCloud, meaning that this is not a great solution for those of us syncing between the desktop and iPad versions of Mellel. I also understand that Dropbox does not provide the syncing capabilities Mellel needs.

My question is: which of the other syncing options works well for people? Is anyone routinely storing their Mellel files in the cloud and working on them with both devices with good results? When I open the "Manage Locations" area of Mellel for iPad, I see that several of the cloud storage providers I use come up as options (Box, Google Drive, OneDrive and Mega), but I'm not sure which one is likely to be most reliable.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Re: Syncing between Mellel 4 and Mellel for iPad

Post by Eyal Redler »

The iCloud situation has changed quite considerably since iCloud drive was introduced. In the past, it was not possible for the non-Mac-App-Store version of Mellel to save and read from iCloud but this is no longer the case.
The only thing the app store version provides in this regard is that it can access the Mellel "silo" (the sanctioned Mellel folder) in iCloud while the non-mac-store version cannot. However, there is nothing preventing you from creating a folder named "Mellel files" (or whatever you like) and save your Mellel files there, the folder will be accessible to both the iOS and Mac versions of Mellel.
iCloud has certainly some issues but it is getting better and as long as things work as designed it provides the best synching option.
Still, I would also love to hear about the experience of others in that regard.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
joseph_anton
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by joseph_anton »

Thank you for clarifying the situation with regard to iCloud syncing. I've set up a new folder as you suggested, and so far my work has been synced back and forth seamlessly.
s_A_b
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by s_A_b »

Eyal Redler wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 am iCloud has certainly some issues but it is getting better and as long as things work as designed it provides the best synching option.
Still, I would also love to hear about the experience of others in that regard.
Hi Eyal. My main request would be to have Mellel for iPad keep a link to previously-accessed documents that reside in iCloud Drive. [This might be an iOS 11 beta bug. If so, apologies!].
A close second in my 'syncing' needs is to be able to export iCloud Drive-based documents to more popular formats (especially docx), so that I may copy them to, say, a shared folder in Dropbox or email. [Currently, I cannot export iCloud Drive documents at all, due to the above problem].
- Simon
— Simon