Floating palettes in fullscreen?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

benjaminpelissie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Floating palettes in fullscreen?

Post by benjaminpelissie »

... that would be great. I personally can't stand to have my page resized every-time I want to adjust formats. Am I missing something?
Avner
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Floating palettes in fullscreen?

Post by Avner »

Hi Benjamin

Palettes in full screen mode are in fact fixed in their location, as the idea was to avoid the need to toggle between windows and tabs and have everything on your screen at once while minimizing unnecessary space around the document area, excluding the palettes of course which are always required.
Avner Matan
----------------------
Training and Support
MellelU Learning Center: https://www.mellel.com/learn/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/mellelvideos
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
benjaminpelissie

Thanks for your answer. I still don't see why having the option of floating palettes would mess with the the overall user experience. I think it is easy to implement and a nice option for those who rely on it.

EDIT:
In fact I don't understand your point at all. If minimizing unnecessary space is a concern, then having floating palettes seems by far the best option since one can put it wherever he/she wants. So far palettes act like a panel (at least they are restricted to a panel's space) but cramped at the top, leaving a lot of unused space below it. Plus, their design is not that of a panel and let a lot to be desired imo. So for me, it seems to represent the worse of both worlds, which is why I feel that I am missing something regarding those design choices. But in any case, having the option of setting palettes as floating would be better.
benjaminpelissie

Or at least, can we have the possibility to display several palette groups when in fullscreen? I still can't see the point of having half of the palettes area unused in fullscreen. It is also very annoying (I think) having to click on tabs to check specific palettes when we could just have them displayed at all time (or pinned if you prefer). For example, when I toggle my palettes (and I'm always working in fullscreen), I ALWAYS want to see both the Bibliography and Statistics ones. As it is, I have to click on each item separately, which makes no sense. Overall, I really think that when in fullscreen and if floating palettes are not to be implemented, palettes should act as a real panel (ala Pages), where we could pin the ones we use the most. So far it is clunky and not very pleasing cosmetically (due to this awkward unused space around the palettes). Don't get me wrong I love Mellel, it's just that this palettes-in-fullscreen thing makes no sense at all (to me).
EvgenyVK
New to all this

Post by EvgenyVK »

Hi guys,

I would also upvote this. I like to have 2 pages to be visible at the same time and with palette there half of the page is invisible. Maybe it's possible to move some of those functions on toolbar? Or make palette draggable? I would personally attach it to toolbar or move on the second monitor.
benjaminpelissie

The more I use Mellel, the more I get frustrated by this palette non-sense in fullscreen. PLEASE can we have either floating palettes (would be my preferred option by far)or a re-designed pane (like the Outline one) that allows for multiple palettes at once (like when not in fullscreen)? Can we at least hope to see that coming in a near-future?
benjaminpelissie

Any news on a possible re-design of the palettes in fullscreen?