Swedish Localisation v. 4

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kingbird
New to all this

Swedish Localisation v. 4

Post by kingbird »

Hi,

I am using Mellel v. 4 and it is in English despite my system language being Swedish. Is this an error or is it just not (yet) available? If unavailable, is Swedish localisation for v. 4 in development? I understand that at least previously, Mellel was also available in Swedish.

Thanks.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Swedish Localisation v. 4

Post by Icelander »

kingbird wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 pmI am using Mellel v. 4 and it is in English despite my system language being Swedish. Is this an error or is it just not (yet) available?
According to the Mellel Guide (p. 202 f.), there are 17 localizations currently available for Mellel's User Interface. Swedish is not among them:

1. Chinese (Simplified)
2. Czech
3. Danish
4. Dutch
5. English
6. Finnish
7. French
8. German
9. Greek
10. Hebrew
11. Italian
12. Japanese
13. Norwegian
14. Portuguese
15. Romanian
16. Russian
17. Spanish
kingbird
New to all this

Post by kingbird »

Thanks for the clarification. It was available in v.2 but I suppose it has been dropped (temporarily?) since then.

Are there any plans to add Swedish again? I notice that Danish, Finnish, Norwegian - all with less number of native speakers - are supported so I would encourage re-adding Swedish. :)

I also noticed a typo in the manual: "Danis" instead of "Danish".
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Icelander »

Are there any plans to add Swedish again?
If you choose "Support" from the Help menu, you can contact Mellel directly and ask them. Then post the answer here.
I notice that Danish, Finnish, Norwegian - all with less number of native speakers - are supported
The number of native speakers is not necessarily always the crucial factor by localizations. It's often equally important how active the users are. If someone comes and offers to localize Mellel into Samoan, I don't think the Mellel people would decline.
Stefan Green
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Stefan Green »

I think it is up to us Swedish users to fix a localisation in our language. I don't think we can expect the Mellel crew to hire someone to do it. It would be someone who volunteers for the task.

/Stefan Green
/Stefan Green 8)
kingbird
New to all this

Post by kingbird »

I see your points that if someone volunteers to do it, Mellel will perhaps not say no... but I am also familiar with the dangers of "free" (albeit in a journalistic context) and from my experience, if you want quality it is better to pay for it even if it's offered for free. Just as we all happily pay for Mellel instead of using open source alternatives.

From public comments, I understand that the Mellel team sees the value in localisation and that people want to work in their own language, but it's a business evaluation: are there enough (potential) users to invest in it and is it probable that it will lead to an increase in sales. Perhaps not for Swedish, I obviously cannot say, but I would also think that the user satisfaction aspect shouldn't be ignored either when trying to sell updates.