change the font of all text in a particular language

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

bpkantor
Got the styles thing figured out

change the font of all text in a particular language

Post by bpkantor »

I know how to set up the document so that it will type in different fonts when I switch to different languages.

However, I am wanting to be able to change the font of one language AFTER I have typed out the entire document.

How can I select all the text of one document, and then do a change so that all the Hebrew text will appear in one font and all the Greek text will appear in one font and all the English text will appear in one font.

Thank you!
Ben
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: change the font of all text in a particular language

Post by Icelander »

Hello Ben,

Open the Find and Replace panel. Make sure the the Format indicators at the end of the Find and Replace fields are grayed out.

1. While in the Find field, select a language whose font you want to change from the Character Styles pane. Then select 'Anything' from the Find Insert popup menu.
2. In the Replace field, select the font you want to use for the language from the Character Attributes pane, and then select 'Found Expession' from the Replace Insert popup menu.

Unfortunately Mellel can't search for two attributes at the same time, so you will have to repeat the Find and Replace three times, once for each language, or save the searches to a FindSet, if you need to do this often.
bpkantor

Post by bpkantor »

Thank you for the help, but it didn't seem to work. Can you please test this on your version of Mellel to make sure it works?

It just didn't find any text when I did it like that so it wouldn't replace anything.
bpkantor

Post by bpkantor »

I am not sure why, but I think the reason for this is that the Hebrew and the Greek I am trying to change is not actually marked as "Hebrew" or "Greek" in the character style.
bpkantor

Post by bpkantor »

I think a better way to phrase the question would be by "script" and not by "language."
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

bpkantor wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:58 pm a better way to phrase the question would be by "script" and not by "language."
Yes, that makes indeed all the difference! I thought you had already assigned language attributes to the text.

I don't write in Greek or Right to Left Languages, so I'm not sure whether searching for scripts is possible in Mellel. I checked the Mellel Guide, but there is nothing there about searching for scripts.

If you have Nisus Writer Pro, I would recommend doing this in Nisus. Unlike in Mellel, there is a special script menu in the Find box which enable you to search very easily for scripts, even multiple scripts at the same time. You could then import the text with the new fonts into Mellel, either via the clipboard or as a .rtf
bpkantor

Post by bpkantor »

I just thought I would share an update.

I contacted Mellel support about this and they came up with a very nice work around for me.

You can do a search for "character range." Then double-click on what appears in the "Find:" box and select the unicode range corresponding to the full range of Greek characters (can do the same for Hebrew, but there are two separate ranges of unicode characters to cover it all). Then do a normal find and replace changing the font in the second box (choose "found expression") and there you have it.

This was an excellent work around which is basically just a few more steps to achieve what I wanted to achieve.

Feel free to PM me or ask further questions if anyone is trying to do the same thing.

Ben
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

bpkantor wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 pmI contacted Mellel support about this and they came up with a very nice work around for me.
Thank you for the update, Ben.
What is the character range of Greek and Hebrew then?

Is it U+0370 – U+03FF for Greek and U+0590 – U+05FF for Hebrew?

Thanks
bpkantor

Post by bpkantor »

You're welcome.

Yes, but a bit more if you include the extended range:

U+0370–U+03FF Greek and Coptic; U+1F00–U+1FFF Greek Extended

U+0590 to U+05FF; Hebrew, U+FB1D to U+FB4F

The easiest way to find this info for any non-Latin script is just to search "Greek alphabet" or "Hebrew alphabet" (i.e., "[Name of language] alphabet") into Google, find the wikipedia page, and then it is usually on the right column. For me, it actually appears in the summary on the right column of my google results.