Spell checking isn't working

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jif
Got the styles thing figured out

Spell checking isn't working

Post by jif »

I'm using version 3.5.4b1.

In short, Mellel isn't checking spelling anymore. I'm not sure when it stopped, or if I turned something off at some point. I've tried everything I could think of to reactivate spell-checking, but nothing seems to work and I haven't seen an answer for this issue in either forum. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated! Thanks.
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Spell checking isn't working

Post by macsailor »

I've got the same problem. Didn't realise it until I read your message in the forum.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
jif

Post by jif »

At least I'm not alone!
raymond

Post by raymond »

Eyal wrote me few years ago the following explanations for spellchecking in Mellel:

"Spelling in text is enabled by setting a spelling dictionary (Preferences-> Language) and then applying the language (letter / style palette) to the text. Once you've done this, you can check the spelling in the document by "Check spelling in the document" (menu Edit-> Spelling) or by clicking "Find Next" in this window."

]Few years ago, a discussion on the subject took place in Mellel mailing list, which exists no more. There, one of the participants, Sorin Paliga, wrote these very helpful suggestions[/b]:

"Why do you use Aspell in Lion? You may directly use OpenOffice/LibreOffice spell modules, unarchive them, and move the two essential files to /Library/Spelling. The steps are:
- download OO spell modules, will see file like name.oxt
- change .oxt into .zip, and confirm when asked if sure
- double click on it, and move to /Library/Spelling the two essential files names .aff and .dic
From now on, you will have spelling in any language,whose modules are installed there; in any Cocoa app and in OO or LibreOffice too.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... ctionaries

Check with TextEdit or LibreOffice or OpenOffice, if they do not work there, there is a problem with Mellel.
Do dics show up in System Preferences/Language and Text/Text and, under button Spelling, you must see the whole list of available dics, including the ones added as described. If it does not who up there, there is a problem with them. In attached file, the last dics (the ones described as ‘library’) are the ones added after unarchiving OO dics.

No, not correct, I attach how the folder Spelling must look like. I repeat the steps:
- download OO dics
- change extension .oxt into .zip, and confirm
- double click on it, you will get a folder
- out of that folder, drag to Spelling folder the two files with the extension .dic and .aff

Do not put there all the folder or other files, they are invisible.
You do not need any other procedure, if well done, all the spelling dics must show up in sys prefs/language and text/text/spelling.

Beginning with 10.6.x, CocoAspell is useless, even if usable. Essentially, the idea is that OpenOffice/LibreOffice spell dics are more actively updated and the offer is richer, some languages have several dics. I do not underestimate of course CocoAspell, it was a wonderful job, and I still use it with my PowerBook running Leopard.

First of all, you use outdated spell checkers, beginning with Snow Leopard, you may use OpenOffice/LibreOffice modules, which are regularly updated. Installing them is quite simple: the downloaded module with the xtn .oxt is manually given the xtn .zip, confirm, then double click. Out of the resulted folder, move the aff and dic files to /Library/Spelling. These are quoted as spell checkers in (Library).
Now, how to remove the existing ones? You have Aspell dics, which are not necessary any more (but, sorry, you did not mention the system, if older than SL, my apologies, but I think it is newer). Aspell dics are located in the Aspell folder in Application Support. I have no idea where Hspell is located, I have never used it, perhaps in /Library/Spelling. Before removing them, deactivate them in sys prefs.
I do not think it is necessary to have so many spell dics either. I do not know Hebrew, but I assume you need only one, the best one, which reportedly is the on! e in OO."

I work in my Mac and in Mellel for years with these advices but I hope that Mellel will find the way to integrate into it the spellchecker of Apple, and which exists in Safari and in this forum.
Raymond
jif

Post by jif »

Thank you, Raymond, for the detailed reply! I'll try to get one of these approaches to work. It might be that Mellel 3 is just starting to fail. I'm having a lot of trouble with it saving competitive copies of documents and now it's starting to randomly quit.

Again, thank you!
raymond

Post by raymond »

And I hope Mellel would integrate in it a speller equals or better than that existing in Word for Mac
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

raymond wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:55 am And I hope Mellel would integrate in it a speller equals or better than that existing in Word for Mac
Maybe they could try to buy the Spell Catcher that worked like a charm on all my macs before it's founder passed away in 2012 and the software ceased to be updated to never MacOSX/macOS versions. In the hands of the Redlers, it might be working again.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
shades

Post by shades »

I continue to use Spell Catcher, excellent app, even tho it has not been updated in almost 6 years.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
raymond

Post by raymond »

Impossible to install spell catcher on new last version MacOS version, unfortunately.
For those who have former version already on their Mac and were able to upgrade, it continues to function.