Page break and section break for new chapter

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joseph_anton
Knows everything, can prove it

Page break and section break for new chapter

Post by joseph_anton »

In auto-titles, I have selected "Section break" in the "insert before" area for each new chapter, as I want my footnotes to begin again at 1 for each chapter. I would also like to start each chapter on a new page, but so far am unable to see how to do this, short of manually inserting a page break at the end of each chapter. I wonder if anyone has any advice about how to insert both a section and a page break at the start of each chapter?
Icelander

Re: Page break and section break for new chapter

Post by Icelander »

joseph_anton wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 am In auto-titles, I have selected "Section break" in the "insert before" area for each new chapter
…which is wrong. You must insert "Page style break" instead.
Then set the numbering of your note stream to "Restart every section".
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Icelander wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:56 pm …which is wrong. You must insert "Page style break" instead.
Then set the numbering of your note stream to "Restart every section".
Thanks for this suggestion. I tried it but now I have the problem that my page numbers also start from 1 again for each chapter! There must be some way to re-start the numbering for footnotes but keep the page numbering continuous, but I can't figure out what it is! Any ideas?
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

joseph_anton wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:43 pm now I have the problem that my page numbers also start from 1 again for each chapter!
Try the options in the Page palette. If that solves the problem, safe the settings as a new Page style for future use.

If you revert to what you did first ("I have selected "Section break" in the "insert before" area for each new chapter") and then open the Section palette and click on 'Attributes', you'll notice that the topmost option reads: Section start on. Choose 'Next Page' from the drop-down menu. Maybe that solves both problems all together.

Addendum:
Yes, that's the easiest way to go. I tested it. Now you have continuous page numbers, footnotes that restart with every new chapter, and every chapter starts on a new page.
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Icelander wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:30 pm Addendum:
Yes, that's the easiest way to go. I tested it. Now you have continuous page numbers, footnotes that restart with every new chapter, and every chapter starts on a new page.
Thanks for your help with this problem, Icelander! You were indeed correct regarding the solution to this issue. After following the steps you outlined, I also needed to select the entire page range of my chapters and apply the regular page style to it. I also needed to manually insert page style breaks before each chapter (for some reason specifying this in auto-titles didn't achieve the desired result).

EDIT: an additional step, which I forgot to mention, was navigating to the Page palette in the second and following chapters, clicking on "Attributes" and de-selecting Numbering: Start At (to avoid the problem of page numbers restarting every chapter).
Last edited by joseph_anton on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

joseph_anton wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm You were indeed correct regarding the solution to this issue.
I'm glad to hear that it's now working. : -)