Just for fun, what is your longest Mellel document...

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Just for fun, what is your longest Mellel document...

Post by Fire Angel »

Yes, the title says it all, post in this thread the word count for your longest single Mellel document.

My novel passed 173,000 words today and it is in a single document file. I back up ruthlessly including several on-site backups and weekly off-site backup. I have not found the software slowing to a crawl as the document becomes longer either. It sometimes pauses briefly when I start to edit some text midway through, but it soon catches up and resumes the usual Mellel response times.

So what is your longest document in one file? How is the responsiveness of Mellel when you are editing it?
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Just for fun, what is your longest Mellel document...

Post by macsailor »

My Master thesis reached nearly 29,000 words altogether. No problems at all during the writing process. Worked like a charm together with Bookends.

Forgot to mention it included a lot of cross-references and footnotes as well.
Last edited by macsailor on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

A thesis? That's an important document! Nice to have a word-processor you can trust with such things, good luck with it.
Old Chinese proverb:

ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

40 000 words with index, bibliography and a lot of crossed references. No problem at all. Very responsive.
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

I have not yet written anything in Mellel that needed a lot of cross references. I imagine it has the potential to slow things down a lot unless the data structures and programming are very well designed.
Old Chinese proverb:

timofcanberra
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by timofcanberra »

thesis 72,000 words 5 tables 332 figures, 333 autotitles, 509 citations, 22 footnotes no crashes, no loss of speed
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

I'm working on a doctoral dissertation which is currently around 85,000 words, with a large number of citations, cross-references, and footnotes. In my experience, Mellel 4 can handle a document of this length without any perceptible impact on performance. I have, however, noticed that as the document gets longer, it seems to take more time to insert a citation using Bookends (there is a delay of somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds as the citation is inserted).
Stefan Green
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Stefan Green »

At the moment my dissertation has 207268 words and 1345 citations + many cross-references (the end product will be shorter) in one file. Mellel handles it just fine, it only takes a few more seconds to save the document compared to a normal size document.
/Stefan Green 8)
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

Stefan Green wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm At the moment my dissertation has 207268 words and 1345 citations + many cross-references (the end product will be shorter) in one file. Mellel handles it just fine, it only takes a few more seconds to save the document compared to a normal size document.
Ah, good, I was hoping someone would have a document longer than mine. The fact that all the citations and cross references don't slow things down shows that the data structures used are well designed.
Old Chinese proverb: