Numbering Figures

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

grebmar
Already downloaded the guide

Numbering Figures

Post by grebmar »

I can't find an answer to this in the Mellel guide or the forums. I am working on a book-length manuscript with eight chapters divided by page style breaks. I want to have my figures numbered automatically and sequentially throughout the manuscript, using the chapter number as part of the caption. So I want Figure 2.1, Figure 3.6, and so forth. Is there a way to get the chapter number into the Figures auto title sequence, and to restart the numbering with each chapter? I had a workaround by creating a separate figures auto title sequence for each chapter, but Mellel won't let me do more than six figure sequences, and I need eight.
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Numbering Figures

Post by macsailor »

grebmar wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:37 pm I want to have my figures numbered automatically and sequentially throughout the manuscript, using the chapter number as part of the caption. So I want Figure 2.1, Figure 3.6, and so forth. Is there a way to get the chapter number into the Figures auto title sequence, and to restart the numbering with each chapter?
I haven't done it myself, but I think it should be possible through the auto-titles. If no one else can give you the answer how to do it, try to send a message through https://www.mellel.com/support/
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
laup

Post by laup »

Suppose that your title flow already is

Heading 1
Heading 2
Figure
Heading 3
Other stuff

Where Heading 1 is for unnumbered headings, Header 2 is for chapter titles, and Headomg 3 is for chapter-section title.

The Figure item should be a tag flow, obtained by clicking the "Add" button and renaming.

Now, what you want is for the Figure item to be below Heading 3, not Heading 2

Heading 1
Heading 2
Heading 3
Figure
Other stuff

And you want to click the "Reset numbering with higher level flow" box at the tp of the window defining Figure.

If, as above, Headings 1 and 2 are the top two levels of your flow, then your definition would be, e.g.,

"Figure Prev#2.Curr$ Title"

where the items in bold were added from the Elements menu and where you typed in Figure and . manually.
If you have other items above your Heading 3, then you would have to adjust this, replacing Prev#2 with whatever is appropriate.

To have numbered tables, you add a tag flow for Table, right above or below Figure in the above list.

This will generate figure and table numbers by Chapter, e.g., "Figure 2.3"
Paul
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

Thank you for your suggestion, Paul, but it doesn't quite work. When I set the auto-title command to "Figure Prev#2.Curr$ Title" it restarts the sequence after the subheading level in each chapter, not the chapter level. That is in your hierarchy, it begins renumbering when heading 3 changes, not heading 2.

I've tried all kinds of tweaks, and nothing gets the numbering to restart at the chapter level.
laup

Post by laup »

Perhaps my instructions were not quite right. If so, sorry. I have put a skeletal make-believe document at

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aspi5ln5b3ve ... kdQya?dl=0

You have to download the mellel file and then open it. You will see that the figures renumbers by chapter. You can then look at my auto-title flow and my definition of the auto-title for Figure. It refers to "Prev3" because Chapter Number is the third in my list of auto titles.

Let me know if you can't open the file. I don't do sharing very often, so I sometimes mess it up.
Paul
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

laup wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm Where Heading 1 is for unnumbered headings, Header 2 is for chapter titles
I guess this (unconventional?) use of Heading 1 is confusing grebmar. I find it more straight forward to use just paragraph styles for unnumbered headings, such as Title, Appendix and such.

If Heading 1 is used for Chapter 1 (= Level 1), then the Tag Flow "Figure", consisting of Figure Prev#1.Curr#.: Title, needs to be placed after *Heading 2* (= Chapter 2 = Level 2). That will do the trick.

Heading 1
Heading 2
Figure

See an example document here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/j5lsbp436 ... l.zip/file
laup

Post by laup »

I use Heading 1 for unnumbered heading because items like Preface then show up in the Outline. As in the linked file I provided, I sometimes use auto-titling for sections of the summary and for appendices. I agree that that complexity is often unnecessary.
Paul
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

laup wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:09 pm I use Heading 1 for unnumbered heading because items like Preface then show up in the Outline.
Ah, now I see, that makes sense. I forgot about the Preface. :–)

Thanks for clarifying, Paul.
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

Thank you Icelander, for the template, which I can see works. Unfortunately, trying to replicate it in my manuscript isn't working. I must have some setting somewhere in the document that keeps it from numbering properly, so I'll need to play with it more or let it go. I also don't get the numbers for chapters/sections in the outline panel the way your template does. The numbers show up fine in the text, but not in the outline.
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

I seem to have made it work, but I needed to tweak the format from Icelander's template, moving my Figure auto title down one level. I don't know why there should be any difference.
laup

Post by laup »

Note the box that says "Reset numbering with higher level flow." What's confusing is that if the first three items in your flow are

Heading 1
Heading 2
Figure

, where Figure is a tag flow, then Figure is "at" the second level and will start renumbering only when the "higher level flow" (Heading 1) changes, as in Chapter 1 changing to Chapter 2. Visually, it looks like Figure is subordinate to Heading 2, but that's not the way to understand it.

If you had
Heading 1
Figure
Heading 2,

then Figure has no higher level flow to go by. It is at the same level as Heading 1, which is the first.
Paul
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Hello ‪grebmar,
I don't know why there should be any difference.
How about using modern communication technics! :–)

Delete all text, except one or two words in each section, and then upload the file.
I can then tell you which part needs to be fixed.