Separate a bit text and footnote calls

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

MonEsVil
Got the auto-title mojo working

Separate a bit text and footnote calls

Post by MonEsVil »

Hi everyone!

Sometimes, specially when I write in italics, the text is too united to the footnote calls, to the point that they overlap a bit. Is there any quick way to add a small space between the footnote call and the text or to separate them in any other way?
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Separate a bit text and footnote calls

Post by DavidH »

You might try "Thin Space" or "Hair Space" available on the Insert>Special Characters>Space submenu.
MonEsVil

Post by MonEsVil »

Thank you, David, that is helpful indeed. But I was wondering if there is a, so to speak, automatic way of doing this, in the sense that this kind of spaces is added to all footnotes calls.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

MonEsVil wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:50 pm Is there any quick way to add a small space between the footnote call and the text or to separate them in any other way?
When you say "footnote call', do you then mean what Mellel calls "Reference symbol"? Or are you referring to the Note symbols?
Anyway, the formats and the surrounding text are set in Insert –> Note –> Edit note attributes…
Maybe you could post a screenshot. I was unable to reproduce the situation.
MonEsVil

Post by MonEsVil »

Sorry, English is not my primary language. I am referring to the numbers that identify the footnote.

This is what I have when I mix italics and those numbers:

As you can see, it is a bit anesthetics. It could be better if a small space appears in between:

I was just wondering if there is an "automatic" way to do this.

Thank you.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Thank you for posting a screenshot. It's now clear what you mean.
I agree with you, this doesn't look good.
I was just wondering if there is an "automatic" way to do this.
A good question. In "Edit note attributes…" there indeed doesn't seem to be an option to tweak the space between the Reference symbol and the text.

If one could just use the Find/Replace box to locate a note Reference symbol in the text body! Then one might perhaps be able to create a FindSet to enter "Thin Space" before all Reference symbols preceded by text in italics… But I'm dreaming. In Mellel it's neither possible to search for a Reference symbol in the text body nor search for an item *preceded* or followed by text with certain character attributes. If I'm wrong, I hope somebody will correct me.

In Nisus this problem does not exist.