Add row

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Add row

Post by raymond »

In the Table palette there is a gear icon. When pressing on it, a menu opened, and one can have the possibility to add a row.
In former versions of Mellel 'add a row' command starts with one row and then second click added two rows and then 4 rows.
I wish this possibility will be added as well.

I had to add 20 rows to and existing table, so I had to repeat this action twenty times. So if there is a way to do it now, it is well, but it would be good to have this option as well.
jannuss

Re: Add row

Post by jannuss »

Raymond, I also posted a query about this problem.

Adding just one row at a time really slows me down.

The only option that does work is adding multiple rows at the end of a table which is no solution for large tables.

Janet
elo
New to all this

Post by elo »

Adding rows to a table has indeed become a user interface catastrophe in my opinion. Who thought that making users go through several steps to add a row and repeat it every single time was good user interface design? Given the widespread use of tables in documents, there should a least then be a menu for tables. Users should not have to go through four steps (open palette, click on tables, click on gear, click on add a row), or at least two to simply add a row to a table. Unless I am mistaken, since there is no menu for tables, you can't even add a shortcut for this.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Note that you can right-click a table to access all the table commands in a context menu.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

That's not exactly a short-cut, Eyal, you need to right-click on the table and then select Table Commands, and then select the option you are looking for
AND
this offers no solution to adding multiple rows inside a table (not at the end) which is something we all really need.

Janet
elo
New to all this

Post by elo »

Indeed. That is not a shortcut! You still have to go through three steps for every single thing you want to do. I just had to add five rows in the middle of a table. Fifteen steps at least. You can Undo the operation, but you can't repeat the operation to make adding rows faster. Why can't there be a Table menu with keyboard shortcuts? It's not like tables are a rarely used feature in documents. I am just baffled after having used Mellel for many years now. Sad to say, but I do find myself using Word more and more.
Cynops
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by Cynops »

The issue I have with the add a row function is that the added row does not match the format of the table (if it has been modified from default) the row is whatever the default table is set for. It would be far easier if the add a row command copied all the formatting of the row that you're in when you hit the command.