Changing the order of endnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Maximus2021
New to all this

Changing the order of endnotes

Post by Maximus2021 »

Hello!
I face an unusual requirement for publication.
Bibliography should be sorted in the following order: at first archival sources (in citations order), then literature (alphabetically).

For example:

[1, p.25]
[2, p.5]
[3, p.50]
[4, p.70]

1. Archival Source A.
2. Archival Source B.
3. Adam S. The Wealth
4. Smith A. Of Nation

How could I do it?
Is it possible to automatically or manually reorder endnotes?

Thank you in advance.
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Changing the order of endnotes

Post by DavidH »

It's the order of bibliography entries, not the order of endnotes, that you seem to want to control.
The automated management of bibliography and in-text citations is a job for a reference manager like Bookends working in partnership with Mellel, and I don’t believe any of the standard ones give you the degree of specialized control you want here. But once you’ve got your text in a completely final form and scanned it using Bookends or a comparable reference manager, the finished bibliography is text you can edit and reformat any way you like, as long as you don’t try to unscan it later. You could then manually collect the archival sources, manually move them to the top of the bibliography, and manually place them in the order in which they are first cited in the body of your document. You could convert the body of the bibliography into a numbered list to automatically number the entries in their new order. But you’d still need to manually insert the resulting numbers into handmade in-text citations. A lot of work, no matter how you slice it.
Maximus2021
New to all this

Re: Changing the order of endnotes

Post by Maximus2021 »

DavidH wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:44 pm You could convert the body of the bibliography into a numbered list to automatically number the entries in their new order. But you’d still need to manually insert the resulting numbers into handmade in-text citations. A lot of work, no matter how you slice it.
Thank you. I asked this question first on the Bookends forum. And it was Jon who advised me to ask for opinions here. He believes that changing the order of links should be linked to a text editor.
Nevertheless, thanks for the recommendations!