Is Scrivener Relevant Now Mellel 6 is Out?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Alarcahu
New to all this

Is Scrivener Relevant Now Mellel 6 is Out?

Post by Alarcahu »

I'll be starting a thesis next semester (in the humanities) and I'm trying to decide on my primary writing tool. I see a lot of people writing in Scrivener and then compiling in Mellel but I'm struggling to see the case for using Scrivener now that Mellel 6 is out and wondering if I'm missing something. Surely that just adds unnecessary steps? Any wisdom would be welcome.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Is Scrivener Relevant Now Mellel 6 is Out?

Post by Icelander »

Alarcahu wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:01 pm I'll be starting a thesis next semester (in the humanities)
In what subject?
Alarcahu
New to all this

Post by Alarcahu »

Icelander wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:15 pm In what subject?
Pastoral Theology. It will involve a literature review and case studies. I won’t be needing much language or tables etc since it will mainly be interview based.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

I use the Outline in Mellel like I used to use the Draft folder in Scrivener's Binder. I can navigate, filter, and find. That's what I need.

Research and notes go in either Devonthink or Curio, depending on my mood. The notes are then useful for more than one draft.

I would rather write in Mellel than Scrivener. Compiling for different audiences is something I've always been able to do by changing style sets. That's easier than Scrivener's Compile feature.

Scrivener's "no style" style is not something I really like. All text should be in styles fitting the roles different parts of the text serve.

It's also true the tool doesn't make the manuscript. John Steinbeck wrote masterpieces with Blackwing pencils.
Maximus2021
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Maximus2021 »

Scrivener has very useful features - writing history and project goals. That is the only reason I am still using Scrivener.