how to assert keyboard shortcuts to style variations?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Mark
Got the auto-title mojo working

how to assert keyboard shortcuts to style variations?

Post by Mark »

Hi,
in my paper-deadline-hurry, I frequently mixed up the F-keys with the system-wide commands for bold, italics and underlined (command-i, etc...), then selected everything, changed the paragraph and lost my entire formatting which resulted in an even bigger paper-deadline-hassle, hectic readings of the f*abulous manual, and so on. Yes, newbie question: Without buying special software, what is the easiest way to assert command-i to the f2 key?
Thank you!

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

... I have to add, however, that I even have problems assigning these style variations: With the Garamond font for example, Mellel won't let me assign Bold AND Italics, although this is possible when I use the command keys. What is the trick here?
Thank you,
Mark[/i]
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Mark wrote:... I have to add, however, that I even have problems assigning these style variations: With the Garamond font for example, Mellel won't let me assign Bold AND Italics, although this is possible when I use the command keys. What is the trick here?
Thank you,
Mark[/i]
Hi, keyboard shortcuts (e.g. cmd+b) and the style variations work a bit differently: the first are overrides over the existing style, the latter are variations within the style. A style variation has all the options defined so, if you press F2, for example, you apply style variation 2 and then, when you press F3 you apply style variation 3 -- instead of variation 2, not in addition to it.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: how to assert keyboard shortcuts to style variations?

Post by Ori Redler »

Mark wrote:Hi,
in my paper-deadline-hurry, I frequently mixed up the F-keys with the system-wide commands for bold, italics and underlined (command-i, etc...), then selected everything, changed the paragraph and lost my entire formatting which resulted in an even bigger paper-deadline-hassle, hectic readings of the f*abulous manual, and so on. Yes, newbie question: Without buying special software, what is the easiest way to assert command-i to the f2 key?
Thank you!

Mark
The two, as explained below, are two different method: one is adding options on top of the style (overrides) and the other is for moving between the variations in the style.

If you want to organised things that got messed up the best way is to use the find and replace.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: how to assert keyboard shortcuts to style variations?

Post by Ori Redler »

Mark wrote:Hi,
Thank you!

Mark
The two, as explained below, are two different method: one is adding options on top of the style (overrides) and the other is for moving between the variations in the style.

If you want to organised things that got messed up the best way is to use the find and replace.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ori, thank you for the quick reply: It is nice to see how committed development actually works!

But back to the question: I understand the function that the system-wide commands and the f-keys are different, but I'd really like to use only the style variations, because they are easier to change globally (and changes are not lost if I re-assign a paragraph style).
Is there any way to have comand-i work as F3 without special software?

Thanks,
Mark
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

I don't believe what you're looking for is possible without special software. The System Preferences only assign keyboard shortcuts to menu items, and the style variations do not appear in the menus.

Besides, as was indicated in a previous post of yours, if you assign Cmd+I to variation 2 (which you said was italic), it may create other issues. For instance: assume var. 1 is regular, var. 2 is italic (and linked with Cmd+I), var. 3 is bold and var. 4 is bold and italic. If you had something in bold (var. 3), and wanted to add italics, you would need to choose var 4. But if you hit Cmd+I, assuming it would add italics to it, you would be disappointed when it merely changed the selection to var. 2 (italics only).

I think the only workaround for you is to use the shortcuts for variations every time, and train yourself away from Cmd+[I,B,U].
— Robert Cameron