For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

fdalbo
Got the auto-title mojo working

pasting several texts…

Post by fdalbo »

Hi guys,

I am editing a Hebrew manuscript.
Frequently I need to transcribe the very same string – for that reason the copy-paste option is pretty useful.
Unfortunately, I have several different strings of text to paste.
I wonder if there is any way of associate some strings to a single "paste" command, so that by combination x I can paste always the string x, by combination y I can paste the string y and so on…

Thanks
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: pasting several texts…

Post by Ori Redler »

fdalbo wrote:Hi guys,

Frequently I need to transcribe the very same string – for that reason the copy-paste option is pretty useful.
I wonder if there is any way of associate some strings to a single "paste" command, so that by combination x I can paste always the string x, by combination y I can paste the string y and so on…

Thanks
I'm not sure I got you there. Can you elaborate?
Ori Redler from RedleX
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: pasting several texts…

Post by Ori Redler »

fdalbo wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks
I'm not sure I got you there. Can you elaborate?
Ori Redler from RedleX
fdalbo
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by fdalbo »

Sure.
For example:
1) sometimes the Name of God Adonay is spelled in hebrew like that (i hope you can read it): ???? ???? ???? ????
It is quite annoying rewriting it over and over again, since it is repeated quite often…
2) But in the meantime, some other expressions, like that:
?? ???
are used so often, that there is no use in "copy-pasting" it…

ecc ecc

So, apparently, the only solution is writing and rewriting it over and over again…

Wouldn't it be possibile to create a sort of "past 1)" (= ???? ???? ???? ????) and a "paste 2)" (= ?? ???) ecc ecc – so that I can simply "paste" always the very same thing just using a single command?
zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by zoul »

This does not belong in Mellel IMHO, but there are already applications that do that (or something similar). Try these addresses:

http://inventive.us/iClip/
http://db.tidbits.com/article/07078

T.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

fdalbo wrote:Wouldn't it be possibile to create a sort of "past 1)" (= ???? ???? ???? ????) and a "paste 2)" (= ?? ???) ecc ecc – so that I can simply "paste" always the very same thing just using a single command?
Take a look at Document Variables
[page 224 of the Mellel Tutorial or page 144 of the Mellel Guide]

Also, for a "quick and dirty" solution, try typing XX, YY, ZZ and later doing Find/Replace.

Janet
rwg

Post by rwg »

I used to use CopyPaste for this sort of task, but have found it very unstable in OS X (at least in Mellel), and now use the insanely versatile utility Butler (donationware) for this purpose. It provides perhaps the simplest way of accomplishing what you want to do.

Rolf
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by jb »

If I understand, this would be solved by multiple clipboards--a feature of Nisus I miss in Mellel. (Of course one would also want to be able to assign keyboard shortcuts!)

Along with those multiple clipboards comes the ability to edit the clipboard. A nice touch.