Long separator for footnotes?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

chris

Make this a feature request!

Post by chris »

I'd like to second this feature request for the possibility to define a second footnote separator line for for those cases when footnotes from one page extent to the next. Having a line of 100% length is indeed a standard in the Humanities. (Hey, come on! Even Word does this …! ;)

Thanks!
Cattus Thraex
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Make this a feature request!

Post by Cattus Thraex »

chris wrote:I'd like to second this feature request for the possibility to define a second footnote separator line for for those cases when footnotes from one page extent to the next. Having a line of 100% length is indeed a standard in the Humanities. (Hey, come on! Even Word does this …! ;)

Thanks!
It is indeed one of the numerous musts in Mellel, even if not the most important one, in my mind...
Cattus pulchrum atque gratiosum animal est, thraece et dacoromanice motan appelatur
chris

Re: Make this a feature request!

Post by chris »

Cattus Thraex wrote:It is indeed one of the numerous musts in Mellel, even if not the most important one, in my mind...
Well, I guess must-factors highly depend on more or less individual usage patterns … :)
But admittedly for me Mellel isn't too useful until this is resolved.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: Long separator for footnotes?

Post by Ori Redler »

eleuteruiz wrote:It is very common (at least in Humanities, AFAIK) that a footnote surpasses the available space in the page where it started and has to continue in the following page. It is also a common practice to have in the footnote a short separator like this:

but a long separator for the following page, indicating that the footnote has begun in the preceding page(s). Like this:

_____________________________________________(to the end of line)
Footnote tex following, bla bla bla…

Is there a way to edit a footnote style to get this? (I hope I have been clear enough).

Thank you.
Am I guessing right that what you refer to is a "continued..." for a footnote from one page to the next?
Ori Redler from RedleX
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Note-stravaganza!

Post by nvalvo »

I think that's right, Ori. Allow me to rephrase eleuteruiz's request for clarity (and add a bit of my own, sneakily):

On page five, say, a footnote begins:

Code: Select all

suspendisse, neque aliquam faucibus adipiscing, vivamus in. Wisi 
At which point it runs out of room. The desired behavior would be for the continuation of the note (and any following notes) on page six to be styled differently, like so.

lectus esse adipiscing posuere et, nisl arcu laoreet. 
[13] Next note: Lorem ipsum Consectetuer arcu ipsum ornare
     pellentesque vehicula, in vehicula diam, ornare magna erat felis
     wisi a risus. Justo fermentum.
And so on. There being sufficient room on page six for all of these notes, any notes on page seven would look just like those we saw on page five.

I guess what is really needed is an option to define note style variants. Perhaps some could be designated for specific purposes, when a note continues on the next page, or (as has been noted elsewhere) when notes are so short that it makes sense to continue them on the same line. As here:

Perhaps this could use the nifty autotitle formatting interface. One could place a carriage return at the beginning of a normal note style, but replace it with a tab to achieve this effect: some well placed tabs in the paragraph style could allow a dazzling array of effects — and save trees. Who will speak for the trees?!?

I could even imagine a different menu command: "Insert Note With Variant," and the note variant could be edited in a Note Pallette.

As for me, I style my notes without a separator (one of the features that sold me this program), so the extra flexibility for long notes would be valuable. In a recent seminar paper I set about a dozen lines of verse into a note, and that was a typographical challenge, let me tell you.

A more flexible note system: add it to the pile of things to do.

Thanks!
Nick
eleuteruiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by eleuteruiz »

Thanks, Nick. I was away, so I couldn't answer before. But I see you got my idea (and others' as well), and you were able to explain it more clearly.
Eleuterio