Warning! Version and 2.1.2 and Preferences

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

wilder
Got the styles thing figured out

Warning! Version and 2.1.2 and Preferences

Post by wilder »

After updating to 2.1.2, I lost all my previous preferences, including my favourity Auto-Tiles. This gave me a big headache. So be careful and back up your preferences.
Wilder
rwg
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rwg »

I have found that several keyboard shortcuts are no longer working in 2.1.2. For example, none of the keyboard shortcuts for note streams appear to work. (And, no, there aren't any conflicts with keyboard shortcuts in the Services menu.) This too is rather annoying to say the least.

Rolf
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Re: Warning! Version and 2.1.2 and Preferences

Post by jb »

wilder wrote:After updating to 2.1.2, I lost all my previous preferences... So be careful and back up your preferences.
I'm surprised to hear this since with previous upgrades preferences have been preserved.

In any case,

How does one save preferences?

Thanks,
James
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

Backup ~/Library/Preferences/com.redlex.mellel.plist
mkenney
Read the guide!

Post by mkenney »

I just checked, and I have not lost any of my preferences. In particular, my (custom) auto-titles and keyboard shortcuts for notes made it through the upgrade.
ozean

Post by ozean »

jb wrote:How does one save preferences?
Even more important than making a backupt of Mellel’s .plist file in the ~/Library/Preferences folder is making regular backups of Mellel’s whole Application Support folder (located in ~/Library/Application Support). This is where the Auto-Title Setups and all the other style related information is stored.
verma

Post by verma »

wilder wrote:After updating to 2.1.2, I lost all my previous preferences, including my favourity Auto-Tiles. This gave me a big headache. So be careful and back up your preferences.
Wilder
Strange; I'm not experiencing this. Are you sure your Auto-Titles are not linked to a specific template?
Hans-Reinhard Koch

Same problem

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

After updating to 2.1.2, I lost all my previous preferences, including my favourity Auto-Tiles. This gave me a big headache. So be careful and back up your preferences.
Wilder
The same happened to me. When upgrading to 2.1.2 I lost all my global styles and bibliography replacement styles. (Auto-Titles still there.) This was before I saw Wilders post. I had to recreate everything. And today the same thing happened again out of the blue and all styles had disappeared.

The style sets menu shows only: Default (migrated) and the style set of the open document.

Yes, I was stupid enough not to back up my application support folder. Still this should not happen (and hasn't happened to me in previous versions).

Help!

Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

I haven’t seen any problem with Mellel 1.2.1 regarding the preferences so mine are where they should be (as are the auto-title setups, style-sets and so on).

As the styles are saved with a document, you could open some Mellel file that includes one of the lost styles, open the “Edit style sets…” window, choose the (now document-style-set) and make it global. By doing this, you should at least be able to recover the styles. Auto-title-setups could also be recovered from older documents but within the Auto-Title setup window.

Even if you could recover most things, it’s always a good idea to backup everything at a regular basis. There are several backup utilities available (I use Synk for example) that could do the work for you. With an external FireWire or USB harddrive and the backup tool set to backup you home folder one a day (or a week if your work isn’t that important) and right before you install new software, you are save in most cases.